Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Mario Kart Double Dash online?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Timode

Hello!

I downloaded Dolphin with a friend so we could play a childhood classic (in our eyes) together - Mario Kart: Double Dash!

I saw the Netplay guide here: http://dolphin-emu.org/docs/guides/netplay-guide/ but have a couple questions.

I understand we have to have the same revision of Dolphin for this to work. I know how to set everything up thanks to that guide. What I'm not sure of is, how exactly do we start this? There is the Netplay menu in Dolphin, but I'm stuck there. I'm not sure what to do when I reach this dialog. It tells me to enter an address and to forward a TCP port...and similar things. I apologize for sounding ignorant. I just don't know what to do here. >.<

I just want to play Double Dash with my friend over the internet. We're both on Windows 8 x64-bit. Another question I have is, could we do this over Hamachi, or some other way? I'm just looking for the quickest way, it doesn't have to be any specific one. Smile

I appreciate your help, thanks!
Okay, basically, when you're connected to the internet, your computer has an address which allows it to be accessed by other computers. That is your IP address. You can find it by going to http://whatsmyip.org or simply google "IP Address" for your public IP.

Now, the issue with port forwarding comes in when you have a router and firewalls. Because it would be bad for any computer to simply be able to connect and exploit your computer, routers and computers tend to block access by default. What you must do then, is go to your router, and port forward the port you want dolphin to use, as well as tell your computer's firewall to allow dolphin to use that port, or disable the firewall altogether while you're playing. You can select pretty much any port you want, as long as you can unblock it and no other programs are using it at the time you connect. Only the host needs to do all of these steps! The client just enters your IP address and the port you unblocked (and set under Dolphin's host dialogue.)

Also, do note that Double Dash used Zelda Ucode audio, so you will have to run with LLE audio, or no audio in order to sync up properly! Otherwise, the guide will be sufficient for what you're doing. Also note, Double Dash is one of the games that crash when using LLE Audio on thread, so, don't do that, even though the option is mostly stable for netplay in my experience (though, mostly unnecessary thanks to the AX-HLE upgrades.)
Alternately you could try using BBA

Timode

That cleared a lot up, thanks!

Now, in the Netplay window under the Host tab, it says to make sure you set the amount of controllers to Standard Controller manually. I don't see where to do this. Everything else is set up perfectly.

Also, as soon as I set this up, do we start Double Dash and then start netplay, or is it vice-versa? Big Grin

Again, thanks for your help.
Config>Gamecube

Timode

Neat.

Thanks for the help guys. I feel a bit silly having not seen this before creating the thread: http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-dol...-guide-faq

Time for a nostalgia trip. Big Grin

sacapierres

Hello all! While I'm aware that this thread hasn't been active for quite some time, it seems to be the reference in the matter of playing Mario Kart DoubleDash online on a computer.

Is it possible to play MarioKart double dash online while being more than 4 human players? For instance, would it be possible for my friends and I to play altogether (the four of us) against some other human players online? And if so, do we have to know what is the IP address of the players we are going to play with, or there is some kind of "Battle.net" that makes it possible to see games from people we don't know, or create our own game and make it public to people we don't know?
(04-28-2019, 08:03 AM)sacapierres Wrote: [ -> ]Hello all! While I'm aware that this thread hasn't been active for quite some time, it seems to be the reference in the matter of playing Mario Kart DoubleDash online on a computer.

Is it possible to play MarioKart double dash online while being more than 4 human players? For instance, would it be possible for my friends and I to play altogether (the four of us) against some other human players online? And if so, do we have to know what is the IP address of the players we are going to play with, or there is some kind of "Battle.net" that makes it possible to see games from people we don't know, or create our own game and make it public to people we don't know?

AFAIK, the BBA (need this for connecting gamecubes) doesn't work over netplay, or even remotely high latency.
There is a netplay server browser now (tools, browse netplay sessions)
https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2019/04/06/...r-browser/

sacapierres

(04-28-2019, 08:38 AM)Craftyawesome Wrote: [ -> ]AFAIK, the BBA (need this for connecting gamecubes) doesn't work over netplay, or even remotely high latency.
There is a netplay server browser now (tools, browse netplay sessions)
https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2019/04/06/...r-browser/

Thank you very much. I will try this server browser when my friends are not available to play then!
don't necropost