Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Nvidia GTX 780 bottleneck?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm having a wierd experience with my new GPU. Upgraded from a Radeon 5870 which allowed me to run 4x native resolution all this time just fine and saw no performance difference going from 1x to 4x. Now with my GTX 780 I am finding that if I drop from 4x Native Res to 1x I actually see a pretty hefty performance boost. Granted I still cap most games at 30 fps easily, but when I uncap my framerate to diagnose performance bottlenecks, I always end up with the GPU holding things back. This is in DirectX11.

Anyone else having troubles with Nvidia cards getting bad performance? I am not forcing any AA or AF at all for Dolphin. Just native res 4x.
Getting better performance on lower IRs is expected when you don't have a CPU bottleneck. Without some numbers it's pretty hard to judge if you have an issue or not. Also would be nice to know which games you're trying to play.
I guess your GPU doesn't wake up. Try to set it to performance mode manually. When it's getting loud, you've successed
(06-19-2013, 05:51 PM)degasus Wrote: [ -> ]I guess your GPU doesn't wake up. Try to set it to performance mode manually. When it's getting loud, you've success

I had the same problem that is in sleep mode use dx9 or opengl and walk of wonder
yo tenia el mismo problema es que esta en modo reposo use dx9 o opengl y anda de maravilla
Okay yeah it must be the card underclocking itself because in DirectX9 I see the same thing I did on my Radeon, pure CPU bottleneck. Changing from 1x to 4x native sees no change in performance when frame-rate is uncapped. So should I just always use DX9 then?

Oh and some numbers forgot to post. I test using Super Mario Sunshine. With DX11 and 4x Native Res I get about 47 FPS, with DX9 and 4x Native Res (and rest of the settings are the same) I get about 80 FPS in the same exact spot. When I drop to 1x Native using DX11 my frame-rate jumps up to like 70's, so it's still actually lower than 4x DX9.
Just go into the nvidia crontrol panel. Change the 3d settings to custom. Go into the 3d settings. Go to the application tab. Make a new application profile and assign dolphin.exe to it. Then set the power mode to "prefer maximum performance" in that profile. That should fix it.
If maximum performance mode doesn't work.

Check to see whether the card is getting stuck in 2D clocks or GPU boost is causing an issue.
In DX9 the card boosts to above 3D clocks, so it's being utilized. In DX11 it is underclocked, even when I set it to Maximum Performance, and it sits around 650Mhz.
Are your drivers up to date?
There's only 1 driver available for the GTX 780, which is the latest.
Pages: 1 2