Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Is my PC powerful enough to run GC games?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

German10

Hello guys. I am new here (and Spanish, so sorry if sometimes you don't understand what I am saying) and I am having some kind of trouble to run properly on my computer JUST GC GAMES like Wind Waker or Baten Kaitos. I post here my PC features so you can tell me if there is some problem with them:

Windows 7 x68
Intel Core i5 2430 CPU 2.4 GHz
4 GB RAM
NVIDIA Geforce GT540M Cuda 2GB
Dolphin 3.5 367 (latest version as far as I know)

My Dolphin configuration is exactly the same as appears in the website's "performance guide".
What happens is that Wind Waker, for instance, runs at 100% when I am playing indoors (that is, inside houses), but when I am outdoors, in an open map, the emulating speeds goes down between 60% and 95%, always changing. Do you know if there is something I misunderstood or something that I need to do? I have heard something about "overclocking" CPUs, but I do not know anything about it. Can anybody explain me?

Thank you very much Smile
(06-19-2013, 03:24 AM)German10 Wrote: [ -> ]What happens is that Wind Waker, for instance, runs at 100% when I am playing indoors (that is, inside houses), but when I am outdoors, in an open map, the emulating speeds goes down between 60% and 95%, always changing.

Your CPU is a bit weak for Dolphin. You can expect such speed drops.

(06-19-2013, 03:24 AM)German10 Wrote: [ -> ]I have heard something about "overclocking" CPUs, but I do not know anything about it. Can anybody explain me?

Overclocking a laptop is not a good idea. You should forget that.

(06-19-2013, 03:24 AM)German10 Wrote: [ -> ]Dolphin 3.5 367 (latest version as far as I know)

This isn't the latest version. You'll find latest versions here

German10

So, there is no way to avoid these speed drops with my current PC? And another question: the latest versions of Dolphin are those which appear under the tag "master"?

Thank you very much.
(06-19-2013, 03:49 AM)German10 Wrote: [ -> ]So, there is no way to avoid these speed drops with my current PC?

Do you get these speed drops along the game or are these sudden speed drops that stop after a while?
If these are speed drops along the game, in some places or during some events, this is a performance problem so there's nothing you can really do.
If these are sudden speed drops that come and go from time to time you should make sure that you aren't overheating.

(06-19-2013, 03:49 AM)German10 Wrote: [ -> ]the latest versions of Dolphin are those which appear under the tag "master"?

Latest versions:
[attachment=9380]