Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Problems with wii games on linux on latest revisions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Wii games just aren't working for me at all on the latest revisions.
I have two versions of linux I've tried it on, both have loaded gamecube games just fine, but have crashed when loading wii games.
The first system runs Arch linux, and the games in question - Skyward sword, and brawl to name two - work on the release version (3) but fail to load on 3.0-1412 when the problem is happening. The problem is that I can get one wii game to load one time, but every subsequent load of a wii game fails, unless the same one is started again. The problem seems to be with the file SYSCONF found under .dolphin-emu/Wii/shared2/sys. When I delete this file and launch dolphin again I can get one game to launch again, after that launch the same problem occurs. This problem wasn't happening quite like I described earlier today, but wii games would fail to load eventually. At one point I thought it might be with closing the emulator while "Clearing code cache" was still doing something. Mostly I am very confused.
The second system runs Ubuntu 12.04. On this system wii games would not launch at all, while gamecube games ran just fine. I only tested the latest git pull on this system - 1412.

It seems like there are some problems with wii games on the latest revisions for linux, but I can't seem to narrow it down. I tried to run a dubug build on the arch system, but the crash would not occur. Huh

If anyone else could test out wii games on linux on the latest revisions that would be great, I really can't tell if this is my fault or dolphin's.

As for system information I have an i5 3570k 560ti with 319.23 on arch and 304 on ubuntu.
Hmm... I'm somewhat behind on the latest build, but me and my sister were just playing New Super Mario Bros. this night with no issues (I'm on Slackware 13.37). I'll compile the latest revision and see if anything comes up.

Something drastic you could do (well, not really) is to make a backup of .dolphin-emu then delete the original. Install Dolphin as usual (run make install if you're like me and only grab the binaries after compilation, 3.5 is installed though for stability). This should give you a brand new .dolphin-emu directory. This erases all your saves, but that's what the backup is for. No idea if this will help you in any way, but that's what I would do just to make sure nothing in .dolphin-emu is messed up.
I did figure out how to install 3.5 from the repository and have the latest coexist, so I have a way to play the games now. Big Grin I've deleted the .dolphin-emu directory since the problem started, the issue seems to be with just that one file, deleting the whole thing didn't help. I'll just have to wait and see if you have a similar problem.
Hmm... 3.5-1482 works fine for me (except for a known fullscreen issue). It crashed once when trying to boot Xenoblade Chronicles, but that was all it did, no issues loading saves. If you run it from the CLI, do you get any particular output?
I also get this kind of error, it seems to be two bugs at the same time.

First: Dolphin freezes when I try to start a second game without closing dolphin.
Second: The freeze seems to happen while SYSCONF is written to disk and it gets corrupted.

Fixing the first will also hide the second one, but I think it's also a bug...

Qaazavaca Qaanic

Exactly what is the fullscreen issue?
</threadjack>
The issue is #6336. I think it only affects Linux systems. As it stands, it's pretty much a deal breaker that prevents me from enjoyably using the latest builds, but after the new-ax-hle, FIFO-BP, and GLSL master merges, there hasn't been any "must-haves" in a while, except maybe Fast Depth Calculation, but I haven't played around with that at all.

@degasus - I seem to know what you're talking about. If I can pinpoint a specific revision or commit, I'll let you guys know. Is there currently a separate issue for this on Google Code?
I think the bug freezing dolphin on second start is reverted now - at least it works fine now.

But I still don't know how the touched sysconf could crash dolphin. Without compiler optimiztions, it works fine. But -O3 crashes ...

Shonumi: Does this revert also fix your fullscreen issue?
Just woke up, so I haven't been on my computer yet, but I saw your revert this morning. I don't know if it will help with the fullscreen issue, since I pinned the issue 6336 to a commit that was at least a month older than the one you reverted. I'll check it out after breakfast.

EDIT: Great work degasus, the revert indeed solves the fullscreen issue. Big Grin Any idea why it does? Commit 05eda7b0c1c71a0d5f76a4690060419f00a78ce5 is the earliest master branch commit where this issue appears from my testing. Also, no more freezing when I close Dolphin (still hangs for a second while booting games).
(06-17-2013, 04:50 PM)Darkcoconuts Wrote: [ -> ]Wii games just aren't working for me at all on the latest revisions.
I have two versions of linux I've tried it on, both have loaded gamecube games just fine, but have crashed when loading wii games.
The first system runs Arch linux, and the games in question - Skyward sword, and brawl to name two - work on the release version (3) but fail to load on 3.0-1412 when the problem is happening. The problem is that I can get one wii game to load one time, but every subsequent load of a wii game fails, unless the same one is started again. The problem seems to be with the file SYSCONF found under .dolphin-emu/Wii/shared2/sys. When I delete this file and launch dolphin again I can get one game to launch again, after that launch the same problem occurs. This problem wasn't happening quite like I described earlier today, but wii games would fail to load eventually. At one point I thought it might be with closing the emulator while "Clearing code cache" was still doing something. Mostly I am very confused.
The second system runs Ubuntu 12.04. On this system wii games would not launch at all, while gamecube games ran just fine. I only tested the latest git pull on this system - 1412.

It seems like there are some problems with wii games on the latest revisions for linux, but I can't seem to narrow it down. I tried to run a dubug build on the arch system, but the crash would not occur. Huh

If anyone else could test out wii games on linux on the latest revisions that would be great, I really can't tell if this is my fault or dolphin's.

As for system information I have an i5 3570k 560ti with 319.23 on arch and 304 on ubuntu.
I have the same problem with Fedora core 19. There is a solution ?
Pages: 1 2