Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Total Noob can I play gamecube and wii games with my computer specs?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

kevsmith

I've never tried running emulators before but thought I would give it a go as I miss playing double dash!

My pc seems to run pc games on high with decent results but when I tried installing dolphin everything was laggy and unplayable.

My specs are:
AMD Phenom II x6 109oT 3.20 GHz
12.0 GB Ram
Geforce GTX 660
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

I tried a few gamescube and wii games with the default setting and then other setting but even when it said it was running or 30 or 60 fps it still seemed slow and full of lag.

Please would anybody be able to tell me if my computer should be able to run gamecube and wii games at a decent speed and if so why it's slow for me at the minute?

Thank you for any help.
What games do you plan on playing? We can't tell you how well you'll do, as there's a huge range in processing requirements between different games.

That said, you should get reasonable performance in light to medium games with that CPU, as long as your settings are correct, and you should be able to use at least 4x IR (although potentially less in very graphically demanding games) with that GPU
The 1090T is usually good for overclocking around 4.0Ghz, which should make most games playable.
As for the GTX660, it should perform very well, I have it myself and coupled with an overclocked i5 it does play demanding games like Xenoblade and The Last Story at 4xIR with no issues at all, even with some AA.
(06-15-2013, 11:36 PM)cluthz Wrote: [ -> ]The 1090T is usually good for overclocking around 4.0Ghz, which should make most games playable.

I second this. Depends on which games though

kevsmith

Thank you for the replies.

The games I want to play on gamecube are
Mario kart double dash
Mario sunshine
Wind waker
Metroid prime games

Wii games:
Mario kart
New super mario bros

I've never overclocked a cpu is it safe and easy to do?

What settings should I be using to get these running properly?
(06-16-2013, 01:46 AM)kevsmith Wrote: [ -> ]The games I want to play on gamecube are
Mario kart double dash
Mario sunshine
Wind waker
Metroid prime games

Wii games:
Mario kart
New super mario bros

Except for Metroid Prime games (and maybe Mario Kart games) other games should work fine even if you don't overclock.

(06-16-2013, 01:46 AM)kevsmith Wrote: [ -> ]I've never overclocked a cpu is it safe and easy to do?

It's safe if you know what you're doing. And not really difficult but I suggest you to read a lot on specialized sites etc before doing any manip Big Grin
Overclocking is not very hard.
Find a nice guide for your CPU.
It's not very dangerous either, just be careful. Do small steps. If you wanna try getting 4.0 Ghz, then start much lower, like 3.5GHz and go up 0.1GHz step by step. You should run something like prime95 each time to see if temps are ok, and if there are any stability issues.
You can let it run for a few minutes each time.
Prime95 will fail before you damage your system, unless you do big jumps.
if you doesn't manage to boot, just restart and then go down a notch.
When you think you have found a frequency that you wanna keep, then run prime95 for many hours to see if it's 100% stable.
I usually let it stay overnight before I'm calling something stable. You might also go down a slight bit from your stable clock to increase the lifetime. I can do 4.6GHz stable, but I find 4.3GHz to be the "sweet spot" as it was enough to keep games like The Last Story to run at a decent speed. I've been running my old system overclocked for years with no issues.
(Intel E8500 oc from 3.16GHz to 4.05GHz)

Try to see how far you can go before upping the voltage.
Voltage can destroy CPUs! (you sometimes need more voltage to get things stable at high clocks)
I don't remember the stock voltage on a 1090t, but its probably around 1.2V-1.5V
When upping voltage, so VERY small steps! Going from 1.2V to 1.3V is a big step! Try go from ex 1.2V to 1.225V or something.

Increasing voltage will increase heat more than increasing clock, and it's recommended to get a third party cooler if you want to do this!
Third party coolers does not have to be expensive. Cooler Master 212 EVO is a pretty cheap one, and it is miles better than any standard cooler out there.

If you want really high clocks you will need to invest in expensive cooling, either a good tower cooler (Noctua DH14 or Phanteks or similar) or a closed water loop. There are also custom water loops, but I do not recommend that to people that aren't very skilled with such tweaking.

It might sound like a lot, but over clocking isn't hard. Read a guide or two and be careful!
I've been over clocking since the late 1990s, and my first machine actually needed soldering to over clock, back then it was a risky project, but nowadays everyone can overclock, as long as they have the hardware that supports it. I could even teach my grand mother to do it :p

kevsmith

Cheers I'm going to read a few overclocking guides now and give it a go!!!

In the mean time can anybody suggest what setting I should be using in dolphin to get the best results?