Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Point of frame limiter?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
With vertical sync on , what's the point of a frame limiter?
(07-26-2009, 02:58 AM)braxton Wrote: [ -> ]With vertical sync on , what's the point of a frame limiter?

to limit frames
When I use vertical sync it limits the frame rate to 60 because my refresh rate is 60hz. Most lcds operate at 60hz. I could be wrong, i'm asking just to find situations where it would needed
(07-26-2009, 03:07 AM)braxton Wrote: [ -> ]When I use vertical sync it limits the frame rate to 60 because my refresh rate is 60hz. Most lcds operate at 60hz. I could be wrong, i'm asking just to find situations where it would needed
euh
refresh rate has nothing to do with the frames drawn
doesn't vertical sync prevent the frame rate from exceeding the monitor refresh rate.

"Vertical synchronization (v-sync, v-synch, vbl-sync, vbl-synch) refers generally to the synchronization of frame changes with the vertical blanking interval. "
from wikipedia

cmccmc

Daco is a developer he knows this stuff
(07-26-2009, 05:15 AM)braxton Wrote: [ -> ]doesn't vertical sync prevent the frame rate from exceeding the monitor refresh rate.

"Vertical synchronization (v-sync, v-synch, vbl-sync, vbl-synch) refers generally to the synchronization of frame changes with the vertical blanking interval. "
from wikipedia

yes, the vsync limits your framerate to sync with the monitor's refresh rate, but it's nothing to do with the (experimental) frame limiter which lets you limit the framerate to anything you set
which does not work at the moment, as the framecounter is completly messed up (wrong)

vsync only limits the fps shown, but not the gamespeed.

when i made the framelimiter, fps and gamespeed where completly identic, so lower fps = slower gameplay.

today, they are not. you can have a game with 400fps and still running slow, so limit the fps (with either framelimiter or vsync or whatever) does not help a bit, just making things worse.
In older versions of dolphin I remember the opening text to wind waker being extremely fast, definitely over 60fps regardless of what the fps said. Now it seems to be perfect with just vysnc on. So with no framelimiter and vsync on I never experiance faster rates than 60fps .
probably you turned on "other audio (throttle)"

that works good for zelda WW but horrible for some other games.
Pages: 1 2