Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: First 5ghz consumer cpu
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
New AMD Cpu http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/11/e...nsumer-cpu
still awaiting benchmarks and pricing. Could be good for emulators.
Quote:Could be good for emulators.
Nah , Still along long way to go
https://skydrive.live.com/view.aspx?resi...tZv6Pc_h84
Since AMD can't do much in improving IPC performance , they increase CPU frequency to get better performance . Therefore , the power consumption is increased as well (220W TDP rumors ?) , what's kind of cooling do we need to cool down that thing ? Electric bill would be a huge problem if that TDP was true
It's a Piledriver chip from what I gather. So someone correct me if i'm mistaken, but I was under the impression that no AMD is capable of the single threaded performance of a Sandy/Ivy/Haswell cpu even at clockspeeds as high as that.

I mean I'm no expert in the matter, but I've kept up with CPU news enough in the past few years to gather that AMD has fallen almost hopelessly behind Intel in the single threaded performance. Apparently to such a crippling extent that even massive and ridiculous overclocking seems to do very little in evening the playing field. They claim major improvements on the matter with Steamroller, but I wouldn't trust anything they say until I see people test that out.

What kind of a clockspeed would a Piledriver chip even need to be set to in order to just break even with the performance of a 4.2-4.5ghz Sandy/Ivy/Haswell CPU in Dolphin? Can it even be done without sub-zero cooling solutions such as LN2? We know that 8 cores is useless in Dolphin, so that's not going to help emulation at all.
I bet FX 9590 would be as fast as i5 2500k @ 3.3GHz in Dolphin
(06-12-2013, 12:49 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]I bet FX 9590 would be as fast as i5 2500k @ 3.3GHz in Dolphin
Ouch, you really think so?
(06-12-2013, 01:05 PM)ijed Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-12-2013, 12:49 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]I bet FX 9590 would be as fast as i5 2500k @ 3.3GHz in Dolphin
Ouch, you really think so?

Might actually be a little faster, but not much. To get an idea of how FX chips in Dolphin perform, check out the results from the Legend of Zelda: WW CPU Benchmark. The FX 8150 @ 4.6 GHz was the top performing AMD CPU used in the results that have so far been calculated. It still managed to be behind my i5-2500K (@ 3.3GHz stock) by 2 or 3 FPS in the first two saves, and only surpasses me on the last by 1 FPS. @ 3.8 GHz (my current OC), I would blow it away. I don't know anything about AMD's CPUs, so don't quote me on anything about the FX 9590.
It's going to perform exactly the same as an FX 8350 OCed to 5GHz. Because that's all it is.

They generally require a 40% higher clock rate to perform the same as sandy/ivy bridge cpus. 80% higher against haswell cpus. It should be about on par with a stock 2500K. But with more than twice the TDP. Which means insane cooling requirements, high power consumption, and no extra room for overclocking. Not to mention they will likely sell it for an outrageously uncompetitive price.
Yeah , you know trinity is faster than llano right ? In fact , trinity has higher clock speed than llano but if you put the two CPU on the same clock speed , llano is a bit faster than trinity
Base on Dolphin benchmark , i'm able to calculate FX 8350 @ 4.6GHz performance . FX 8350 @ 4.6GHz vs FX 8150 @ 4.6GHz in Dolphin , FX 8150 seems to be a bit faster . I could guess FX 9590 performance by doing thing this :
Use FX 8350 @ 4.0GHz (Max turbo : 4.2GHz) benchmark results
FX 9590 has 5.0GHz Max turbo , base clock = ???
5.0 / 4.2 = 1.19
then multiply FX 8350 benchmark results with 1.19
Save 1 : 56 x 1.19 = 66.64 FPS
Save 2 : 45 x 1.19 = 53.55 FPS
Save 3 : 70 x 1.19 = 83.3 FPS
AMD made a smart move.Many people still buy their CPUs based on the number of cores and clock rate they have.
The sales numbers and layoffs disagree with you.