Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Hello, I have a Texture Dumping/Ripping Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, I am new to these forums, and this is my first post. Hooray.

On topic: I turned on the texture dump feature, and discovered it only dumps textures which you've seen in game. Is there a way to dump them all at once, and if not, is there a way to simply rip all the textures from the game at once? The reason I need this is because the game I am playing is Animal Crossing on the Gamecube, and most of the textures are hard to get to in the game without spending several days or a couple of weeks.

My specs are as follows, if this is required or helps anyone:
GPU:Nvidia Geforce GTX 660
CPU:AMD Phenom II x4 960T 3 GHz
RAM: 8GB(Don't know the brand)
You could use some kind of disk image browser and extract the files the textures are contained in, but there'd be nothing you could do with them, as they'd be in odd formats.

Your best options are:

Play the whole game

Load up lots of saves from other people until you've covered the whole game

Do some wizardry with dolphin's source code so that it finds all textures in a disk image and then decodes them as if it was playing the game. Even for a Dolphin and C++ expert, this could take thousands of hours (although it could also take a lot less).
Well, it's not the type of game that has an "ending," so playing all the way through it sounds kind of odd to me. There are almost 2000 items in-game that I need the textures of, and I doubt using save games would find me all the items' textures, unfortunately. However, there is a "catalog" feature, in which you can view all the items you have possessed. I used the AR code to fill the catalog with every item. But there is another issue with this. I am not sure if the items in the catalog use different textures than the ones placed inside your home or viewed. For example, in the catalog, there could be a piece of furniture, and in your home, you could place furniture on your floor, move it around, etc. It LOOKS the same, but I haven't sorted through all 6,000+(what I have found so far) textures to test it out yet.
Test it out by swapping in a texture or two – take a few of the textures for items you already have and throw test replacement textures of the exact same name in ~/.dolphin-emu/Load/Textures/GAFE01/. Make sure to uncheck "Dump Textures" and check "Load Textures", you can't have both at the same time.
(06-02-2013, 11:25 PM)pauldacheez Wrote: [ -> ]Test it out by swapping in a texture or two – take a few of the textures for items you already have and throw test replacement textures of the exact same name in ~/.dolphin-emu/Load/Textures/GAFE01/. Make sure to uncheck "Dump Textures" and check "Load Textures", you can't have both at the same time.
I'll try it out sometime today, most likely. That is a good idea.

I've decided I didn't have much else to do, so while browsing my dump folder, I found a texture of an item I recognized, modded it, and it not only showed up that way in the catalog, but in my house as well. Thanks all!
(06-02-2013, 11:25 PM)pauldacheez Wrote: [ -> ]you can't have both at the same time.
I've had this issue too, but neobrain doesn't believe me.