Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Paletted Texture Support
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I read the stuff about Dolphin not properly supporting .9.png files paletted textures and the consequence of fixing it, but after the advent of Dolphin 3.5, I was just curious if this bug was in any higher level of priority to be fixed.
*dug up an article on what .9.png is - http://radleymarx.com/blog/simple-guide-to-9-patch/

What do you want to use that format for? It seems specifically designed for GUI purposes.
(05-31-2013, 04:25 PM)MaJoR Wrote: [ -> ]*dug up an article on what .9.png is - http://radleymarx.com/blog/simple-guide-to-9-patch/

What do you want to use that format for? It seems specifically designed for GUI purposes.
Yeah, it's somewhat related to GUI purposes. I'm really asking on behalf of retexture projects.

In the Xenoblade retexture project (and I'm pretty sure there are a few others), the same image will be dumped over and over and over with different filenames and you'll have to replace each one. Neobrain mentioned that the SX4P01_0a353095_9.png part of the name indicated it was a .9.png file paletted file.

I remember neobrain posted something about paletted textures and how Dolphin didn't properly support it so I looked it up again and I missed this link (here). After reading through that I thought that if Dolphin did fix it, retexturing in general (and specifically for Xenoblade) would be tons easier since you would need only one image instead of hundreds of the same .png image.

Maybe I'm just being selfish since this isn't the biggest problem with Dolphin compared to the other things being worked on, but I just had to ask.

EDIT: I just did some extra research, and I might be wrong about what the name is actually called. It's called a paletted texture and it might not have anything to do with .9.png files. I got confused because I used .9.png files on some Android projects and thought they were the same thing. So, I apologize for that, but the problem still stands. (lol be glad I'm not mindlessly messing with the actual Dolphin code ^_^)
TLZ: Wind Waker has the same issue
the items textures repeat infinitely
This was started once in the texcache-rewrite branch and wasn't finished. The development has stalled and atm it isn't easy (maybe also not possible) to merge it to master.

You are right, this need to be done, but nobody work on it atm. Custom textures aren't the biggest issue here imo, we also discard valid cached textures. So too many texture decodings & uploads (performance issue) and data loses on efb copys (eg ztp mipmap).

How wants to help?
(06-01-2013, 07:37 PM)degasus Wrote: [ -> ]This was started once in the texcache-rewrite branch and wasn't finished. The development has stalled and atm it isn't easy (maybe also not possible) to merge it to master.

You are right, this need to be done, but nobody work on it atm. Custom textures aren't the biggest issue here imo, we also discard valid cached textures. So too many texture decodings & uploads (performance issue) and data loses on efb copys (eg ztp mipmap).

How wants to help?
There aren't that many retexture projects that are currently active so I agree that I wouldn't put it as something of top priority.
I didn't say that this shouldn't be on high priority as the other issues are also because of the lack of paletted texture support.
(06-02-2013, 12:20 AM)degasus Wrote: [ -> ]I didn't say that this shouldn't be on high priority as the other issues are also because of the lack of paletted texture support.
I assumed bigger issue = higher priority. Sorry if I assumed wrong.