Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Why is there such a performance gap b/t windows and linux?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

coder1024

So I'm messing around with Dolphin on linux Ubuntu x64 (dolphin 3.5) and it runs surprisingly well. Zero lag, zero graphical or audio errors. Nothing. I can also achieve a max FPS of about 75.

This is a stark contrast to the windows 7 x64 dolphin (dolphin 3.5-367) where the audio would sync ahead of the game-play during every cut scene. Also on windows I can barley get up to 55fps.

I've tested Wind waker, Paper Mario, and Sonic Adventure 2 battle.

So I'm wondering; why is there such a large performance difference between windows and ubuntu? You'd think that since windows is able to run the latest version of dolphin it would preform better... Apparently not.

Comp specs:
processor~AMD FX 4100 OC to 4.2GHx
Video card~Sapphire Radeon 6670
RAM~PNY XLR8 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (in dual channel)
MB~MSI 970A-G46
You're using 2 different versions of Dolphin to begin with.
Secondly, Windows will use the Direct3D9 back-end by default while Linux will use the OpenGL back-end.
In most cases the Direct3D9 back-end should be faster, so I'm guessing this has to do with using different builds for the different operating systems unless you also tinkered with the settings.

Download Dolphin from the official website. 3.5-367 is not the latest development version.
If you're going to compare Windows against Linux, at least make sure you use the same builds and settings.

coder1024

(05-30-2013, 03:20 AM)Garteal Wrote: [ -> ]You're using 2 different versions of Dolphin to begin with.
Secondly, Windows will use the Direct3D9 back-end by default while Linux will use the OpenGL back-end.
In most cases the Direct3D9 back-end should be faster, so I'm guessing this has to do with using different builds for the different operating systems unless you also tinkered with the settings.

Download Dolphin from the official website. 3.5-367 is not the latest development version.
If you're going to compare Windows against Linux, at least make sure you use the same builds and settings.
True. I suppose I can test 3.5 on windows to see...

And don't you get downloads from old site that we don't need to link to ? I mean come on; that's the first result that pops up on google. Multiple download pages is very misleading to a user...
That's because that used to be the main website, but due to multiple reasons the administrators have switched over to a new domain.
Don't download from that site anymore, ever. Download Dolphin builds from the link I gave you above.

Besides, how come you didn't notice you're on a different website now? These are the forums of this website, not of that website.
We've been telling users how we've moved... every since we moved really (look at the top of this page, for example). Don't blame us because Google won't give us the number one spot. In a year, we should be there, but only if people stop going to the old site.

In addition to using the same version of Dolphin, try using the same or latest drivers for your GPU as well. If you're really going to compare Windows and Linux (and not backend performance, e.g. D3D9 on Windows vs OpenGL on Linux), use OpenGL on both. Though if you want to see the maximum speed Windows will run Dolphin as opposed to the maximum speed Linux will run Dolphin, then use D3D9 on Windows.

coder1024

Interesting. I'm using 3.5 on windows and getting essentially the same performance. And thanks for setting me straight about the website site change. Had I known this was the legit site I would have gone here in the first place... I'll definitely try and spread the word about avoiding shall not be named. Thank you for your help. It's always nice to post on a forums with active mods and users.