Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Can't run any game at a playable speed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys, I'd like some help with a problem I have. I can't seem to get any game I try to work past 35% speed, and the games I'm trying to play are mario strikers, and smash brothers melee. I have an i3-2370m clocked at 2.4 ghz, 4gb of ram and HD3000 graphics. I can't seem to find any reason why I'd have trouble playing these games (I tweaked all the settings and still nothing). Does anyone have any idea why i can't run the games? Some help would be much appreciated Big Grin
There are several reasons why you wouldn't be able to play games at good speeds:

1) You're using an Intel GPU. Intel GPUs aren't made for gaming. If you have your graphic settings too high, your Intel GPU will choke your system.
2) Your laptop is overheating and slowing everything down.
3) Your laptop is not set to run in high performance mode in your power settings, and so your processor is not running at it's maximum clock rate.
4) You're trying to run a game (or situation in a game) that your processor is just not capable of running at full speed.
5) You're doing something else that you shouldn't be doing...
The reason i'm so confused is because my friend can run those same games at 75% speed with an intel celeron b820 processor clocked at 1.7ghz and hd graphics. The laptop is not overheating, I put it in high performance, and i set the graphics settings to the lowest. I don't know, it just confuses me. Any other suggestions? or will i simply not be able to run these games?
(05-29-2013, 01:27 PM)Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]There are several reasons why you wouldn't be able to play games at good speeds:

1) You're using an Intel GPU. Intel GPUs aren't made for gaming. If you have your graphic settings too high, your Intel GPU will choke your system.
2) Your laptop is overheating and slowing everything down.
3) Your laptop is not set to run in high performance mode in your power settings, and so your processor is not running at it's maximum clock rate.
4) You're trying to run a game (or situation in a game) that your processor is just not capable of running at full speed.
5) You're doing something else that you shouldn't be doing...
Have you done any investigating to be sure about what you're saying? What are your CPU temps when Dolphin is running after 10 minutes? What speed is your CPU running at while Dolphin is running? Which Dolphin settings are you using exactly? Download a program called "real temp" to check your CPU temps and a program called "CPU-Z" to check your CPU speed. Post screenshots of each after 10 minutes of play (while Dolphin is running).
(05-29-2013, 01:45 PM)Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]Have you done any investigating to be sure about what you're saying? What are your CPU temps when Dolphin is running after 10 minutes? What speed is your CPU running at while Dolphin is running? Which Dolphin settings are you using exactly? Download a program called "real temp" to check your CPU temps and a program called "CPU-Z" to check your CPU speed. Post screenshots of each after 10 minutes of play (while Dolphin is running).
Ok i did exactly as you said, the temperature peaked at 56 degrees. I did do some investigating and didn't find a solution to my problem after searching for hours. Sorry, just a bit new to this and would like some help. (I can't get the image to upload)
Here is the image that you sent me via PM. The screenshot shows that your core speed is running at 898MHz instead of the 2400MHz or (2.4GHz) that it should be running at. That is the cause of your slow game speed. I'm fairly sure you will have to disable "Smart CPU Monitoring" in your bios so that your processor will perform at its full potential. Then, again make sure you're running at the high performance power profile.

[Image: WynWoja.jpg?1]
Thank you very much Big Grin although i can't find such an option in my bios :S i'll keep trying though, thanks Smile at least now i know the cause of my problem
(05-29-2013, 02:34 PM)Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]Here is the image that you sent me via PM. The screenshot shows that your core speed is running at 898MHz instead of the 2400MHz or (2.4GHz) that it should be running at. That is the cause of your slow game speed. I'm fairly sure you will have to disable "Smart CPU Monitoring" in your bios so that your processor will perform at its full potential. Then, again make sure you're running at the high performance power profile.

[Image: WynWoja.jpg?1]
I'm not entirely sure if that is going to be what the option is called for your system, but there is definitely something slowing your CPU down, so you will have to find out what it is in your particular case.
(05-29-2013, 03:01 PM)Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not entirely sure if that is going to be what the option is called for your system, but there is definitely something slowing your CPU down, so you will have to find out what it is in your particular case.
Thanks again for the help Smile