Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Using VBeam hack in 30FPS games "properly"?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(05-26-2013, 11:46 PM)ExtremeDude2 Wrote: [ -> ]I was more interested in your GFX settings
It's just a typical graphics settings-thing with OpenCL (since my CPU is garbage and my GPU is wonderful in comparison) and raised resolution, but I've tried it on multiple graphics setups, same results, other than when I switch to OGL, at which point just, nothing renders, since AMD was too lazy to put in proper OGL support on this graphics card, or, really, any of their graphics cards.

(05-26-2013, 11:46 PM)LordVador Wrote: [ -> ]Which games are concerned?
Any 30FPS games.
(05-29-2013, 09:37 AM)kinkinkijkin Wrote: [ -> ]
Any 30FPS games.

Yeah but which games exactly? List them
(05-29-2013, 09:42 AM)LordVador Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-29-2013, 09:37 AM)kinkinkijkin Wrote: [ -> ]
Any 30FPS games.

Yeah but which games exactly? List them
Well, the ones I've been playing the most are Twilight Princess (GC) and Wind Waker.
Ok one question, what does the hack do? in detail.
(05-31-2013, 08:42 AM)omega_rugal Wrote: [ -> ]Ok one question, what does the hack do? in detail.

skid created the code, so he's the go-to guy if you want to know about it. A brief overview of what VBeam emulation is:

(11-14-2012, 11:34 PM)skid Wrote: [ -> ]The emulator cannot control the 2:1 ratio of FPS:VPS. It is determined entirely by the game.

However, Dolphin can tell the game that it is running on an interlaced TV or progressive scan TV. Interlaced TV's are 2:1 ratio and progressive TV's are 1:1. The Accurate VBeam emulation tries to detect the sort of TV that the game is requesting and emulates the 2:1 or 1:1 ratio. The emulation still needs more work which is why it is an option right now.

Why the old version was labeled "accurate":

(06-08-2012, 11:21 AM)skid Wrote: [ -> ]Here's the story of Accurate VBeam emulation:

I noticed that some games were behaving erratically with screen updates and the number of frames per second.

I started to search for documentation on how the VideoInterface worked and in particular, the details of the VBeam/Interlacing/Progressive modes.

The code was changed to match what I could find from the documentation and released. It was made into an option as it was still new code and labelled "Accurate" because the code is based on documentation. Some issues were found and fixed but the surprise benefit was the increase in performance of the emulator.

There were issues found with audio sync under DSP HLE and Wiimotes also stopped working in some games. These were hackfixed around by slightly changing the timing so that they would work again. However, the real issue is probably that DSP HLE and Wiimotes are not accurately timed in the emulator. I could not quickly fix the timing and left the hackfix in.

DSP LLE is accurately timed in the emulator and I am wondering if there are ever issues experienced with DSP LLE + Accurate VBeam. It might be safe to permanently enable Accurate VBeam when DSP LLE is used.

marcosvitale did review the VBeam code recently and commented that it is more accurate, but not perfect.

Further info: skid recently improved the VBeam code (to be more accurate from what I understand). In the latest revisions, the old version of the Accurate VBeam hack has been renamed to VBeam Speed Hack (or something to that effect). By default, each game should be using the more up-to-date VBeam code, but you can optionally switch it back to the old version by enabling the VBeam Speed Hack. There's probably something I missed, so skid might be around here to fill you in.
Got it.

Thanks.
Pages: 1 2