Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: A new idea for dolphin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

common

I have not check the source code. I don't know how does dolphin work. But I think it can run more fast.
"Games are programmed for this CPU: when emulating, every basic instruction a game runs needs to be translated to something a PC can execute. Depending on the instruction, this can take from 2x to 100x clock cycles, which explains why you need more than a 486MHz CPU to emulate a Gamecube."
Why not translate all the basic instruction into a new file, then run it? Maybe that will be more fast.
My English is bad. I can't use it well.
I am not sure that anyone could know what I am talking about.
I'm so sorry.
What? You have zero understanding of how an emulator works.
What you've explained is called JIT. Just try to set CPU emulation to interpreter to see the differences :-P
(05-22-2013, 05:05 PM)degasus Wrote: [ -> ]What you've explained is called JIT. Just try to set CPU emulation to interpreter to see the differences :-P
lolwat? What he explains is kind of the opposite of a JIT. He's suggesting a static recompiler.
(05-22-2013, 05:05 PM)degasus Wrote: [ -> ]What you've explained is called JIT. Just try to set CPU emulation to interpreter to see the differences :-P

What the OP said could also be static recompilation if "new file" implies creating a completely new binary (like a .exe file) rather than keeping it in the cache. The problem with that method is most often self-modifying code, which can be a pain to translate correctly with static recompilation.

EDIT: Ninja'd
This has been suggested plenty of times before; I think everyone's had this idea at one point or another.

I can think of another reason why it's difficult and silly – every time you update to a new build, the games would need to be recompiled. Fine for stable builds, but it'd be infuriating on dev builds.

common

It usually takes me 20 minutes to open the project on my computer.
I don't know why. It's too slowly. So I don't know how does dolphin work.
I am just a warm-hearted programmers. I want to do something I could.

Maybe my idea is impossible.
It shouldn't take 20 minutes to open a game, you're either exaggerating or whatever you're storing your games on is ridiculously slow. For the latter, make sure your games are stored on your internal hard drive or SSD – a network share is usually too slow, and the few PC optical drives that can read GC/Wii discs usually can't read them very fast, so if you're just putting your GC/Wii discs into your PC's optical drive, rawdump them instead: http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-how...wii-needed

Also, you're using an old build that you got from the wrong site. I'm tired of seeing the number 367 when we're more than a thousand builds ahead of that at this point, so go get a MUCH newer version from here: http://dolphin-emu.org/download/
common Wrote:It usually takes me 20 minutes to open the project on my computer.
I don't know why. It's too slowly. So I don't know how does dolphin work.
I am just a warm-hearted programmers. I want to do something I could.

Maybe my idea is impossible.

The way that you worded your idea is extremely vague and could be referring to either static recompilation or dynamic recompilation.

Like delroth said dynamic recompilation is already implemented.
And like Shonumi said static recompilation is impossible.
How about you give the JIT engine a weird monkey name for every optimization you do? It works well for Firefox.