Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Can I buy an external disc drive to back up Wii games for Dolphin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I can do the softmodded Wii method to back up my games but I find it difficult, especially because my TV is downstairs on the other side of the house and my PC is here, too much running back and forth to check on files and such. So it'd be 1000 times more convenient if I could do it all on my PC.

I have an OPTIARC DVD RW AD-5680H ATA. It's on an imac (I have Windows 7 installed), so I can't just put a new drive in it, it's all closed up.

I've read LG GH20NS15 is good but it seems unavailable everywhere I look.

What do you all recommend? Is there one where I can just plug it into the USB?
Personally, I would not recommend getting a DVD drive like that to rip games. RAWDump is many times slower than CleanRip, from what I hear. Additionally, if the DVD drive can't read dual-layer discs, then you can't dump dual-layer discs (not even sure if RAWDump or FriiDump can dump dual-layer discs anyway). Using an actual Wii won't cost you a cent as well.
I see, I really don't mind the waiting time though, I'll pay $30 for the added convenience. I prefer to keep my Wii boxed up. Pretty sure Friidump (not the older versions) can do dual layer, at least I read it on some forum.
Woah. Cool!! Thanks admin89!
Irrelevant_pelican Wrote:Pretty sure Friidump (not the older versions) can do dual layer, at least I read it on some forum.

My point was that if the hardware doesn't support reading from dual-layer discs, it's pretty pointless to have that ability in the software. :p

Just out of curiosity, what do you mean by "running back and forth to check on the files"? I just tell CleanRip to dump the game, and check on it sometime later. If there's an error, I just tell it to dump again and check on it later. What are you doing?
I guess I mean if I screw something up lol. Actually, it's mostly I'm just lazy and don't wanna re-hook my Wii to my TV and carry it around the house. I keep it plugged in by my PC so I can use its sensor bar. But ultimately I'd like to keep it in a box and use a USB powered sensor bar.
Can't you plug it into your monitor? I'm sure you'll be able to find some kind of adapter for less than a new drive would cost.
Friidump 0.4.0 can dump dual layer discs no problem. I've used it several times, on SSBB, Xenoblade, Last Story, etc.

As for a compatible DVD drive, look for the LG GDR-8164B. This is the drive I have and it works beautifully.

This setup also works if the drive is in a USB enclosure.

Friidump/Rawdump can dump a GC disk in ~1 hour, Wii single layer in ~3 hours, Wii dual layer in 5-6 hours.

Even though it's slower than dumping with a real Wii, IMO I like the ease of setup and convenience factor.