Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Laptop has decent specs yet runs dolphin slow
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
CPU: Intel® Core™ i5 Processor 3210M (2.50 GHz, 3 MB L3 Cache)
GPU:INtel HD 4000 & AMD Radeon™ HD7670M 1 GB DDR3 (Ext. Graphic)
RAM: 8 GB DDR3 System Memory at 1600 MHz (4 GB x 2)
DOLPHIN: v3.5-367 x64
OTHER INFO: http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/offic...S01CA-spec

I'm attempting to play super Mario sunshine and I get around 18-19 fps during gameplay, I checked GPU-Z and the memory size of the 4000 card is zero and it also appears that the AMD card is at 100% so I believe dolphin is using the correct card. All my settings in dolphin are default so any sight into this matter would be appreciated. I was thinking that I could overclock my cpu although it might be that my gpu is too slow?

Also, although a bit off topic, does anyone know if a ps2 controller can sense a "lightly pressed" R or L button press? I'm using a ps2 controller to play the game however not being able to walk and shoot water is horrible...

thanks in advance
First, use the download button at the top of the forum to download the latest development version.
sorry about that, I currently have dolphin 3.5.1344 now uh I tried to load my save state from the other game but it crashed so I just made a new game and in town i get around 15 fps any ideas? I seem to have a moderately better laptop than you, just so that i know its not my laptop, can you run this game on your laptop?
(05-15-2013, 07:00 AM)mapmaps Wrote: [ -> ]sorry about that, I currently have dolphin 3.5.1344 now uh I tried to load my save state from the other game but it crashed

Savestates usually only work with the revision that created it. Even so, savestates often lead to game issues, so I'd advise you to not use them at all. Use the in-game saves only.

(05-15-2013, 07:00 AM)mapmaps Wrote: [ -> ]so I just made a new game and in town i get around 15 fps any ideas?

Post screenshots of all of your Dolphin settings.

(05-15-2013, 07:00 AM)mapmaps Wrote: [ -> ]I seem to have a moderately better laptop than you, just so that i know its not my laptop, can you run this game on your laptop?

Yes, I can run this game full speed most of the time.
Alright I just installed this version of dolphin so everything should be default... that might be the problem. here are some pictures:

[attachment=9203]

[attachment=9204]
Settings look fine, leave them like that for now. There are a few other things that might be the cause of your slowdowns:

1) Is the laptop plugged in while you're playing?
2) Is the laptop power settings on high performance?
3) Download a CPU temperature program and run it while a game is running (Real temp or Core temp) and make sure your laptop isn't overheating (90C or more would probably be too hot). Also, check what speed the CPU is running at while Dolphin is running, download a program called CPU-Z for that. Run Dolphin for 10-20 minutes and post the temps and CPU speed.
[attachment=9205]

laptop is plugged in, all information has been consistent core speed of the cpu looks a little low?
CPU-Z is reporting that your CPU is only running at around 1.2GHz, you'll never get full speed running that low.
(05-15-2013, 08:51 AM)Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]CPU-Z is reporting that your CPU is only running at around 1.2GHz, you'll never get full speed running that low.
alright two questions one why does samsung or i guess intel state that the cpu is "2.5 ghz" and two in this thread http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-nvi...lem--29265 there's like a mini tutorial on overclocking would you recommend it?
The only reason your CPU would be running at that low of a clock rate is if it was running in power saving mode (underclocking itself), and no, I wouldn't recommend overclocking your laptop in any way. First of all, if your CPU was running at its proper speed, you wouldn't need to overclock. Secondly, the chances are good that your laptop would be running way too hot if you overclocked it. You shouldn't overclock unless you're sure you have proper cooling.
Pages: 1 2