Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Linux - Processor Upgrade Performance
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
After upgrade a Phenon 955Be OC 3.6 for FX 6300 OC 4ghz, dolphin had a decrease in the fps at Zelda twighlight in hyrule field, Phenon == 24-29 FPS && FX ==20-22FPS
I don't get that, since the fx 6300 is supposed to be a better processor than the phenon one considering that FX 6300 has higher OC
So why phenon 955BE was performing better with dolphin?
Both Phenom II x6 and FX-8350 have the same performance clock for clock
In this case , Phenon II x4 955Be OC 3.6 should be on par with FX 6300 @ 3.6GHz .
Quote:since the fx 6300 is supposed to be a better processor
Yes but it's a minor upgrade for Dolphin
That's why we recommend i5 3570k in the first place
(05-11-2013, 12:53 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Both Phenom II x6 and FX-8350 have the same performance clock for clock
In this case , Phenon II x4 955Be OC 3.6 should be on par with FX 6300 @ 3.6GHz .
Quote:since the fx 6300 is supposed to be a better processor
Yes but it's a minor upgrade for Dolphin
That's why we recommend i5 3570k in the first place
a minor uprgade which should not decrease the FPS? that's what happening, I suspect that dolphin has problems with AMD processors, something related to the code.
Did you use the same Dolphin version , same settings ?
Quote:I suspect that dolphin has problems with AMD processors, something related to the code
I doubt that
Btw , CPU affinity can help AMD FX series
lamedude Wrote:I'd try different CPU affinity setups. CPU 0/2, 0/2/4 (1 thread per module) or CPU 0/1 (higher turbo speed).
admin89 Wrote:In this case , Phenon II x4 955Be OC 3.6 should be on par with FX 6300 @ 3.6GHz .

This is wrong. The FX 6000 series cpus have lower IPC than both the phenom II 900 series and FX 8000 series cpus. This is because they combine the piledriver architecture with a smaller L3 cache (4MB in the 6000 series vs. 8MB in the 8000 series and 900 series), this makes the IPC lower than either.

@killown
Your FX 6000 series cpu will need a higher clock rate to reach the same performance as your previous cpu, I'm sorry. I assure you this is not dolphins fault, it is a combination of AMD's fault (for their bad design) and your fault (for not doing enough research before you bought the cpu and automatically assuming that all applications would run faster on the new cpu despite benchmarks on the web clearly showing that this is not the case).

Admin89 also mentioned the problem with affinity. This could be killing your performance as well. If your linux kernel is out of date it will not properly assign thread affinities to account for CMT. Make sure it is up to date (less than a year old).
(05-11-2013, 02:12 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]
admin89 Wrote:In this case , Phenon II x4 955Be OC 3.6 should be on par with FX 6300 @ 3.6GHz .

This is wrong. The FX 6000 series cpus have lower IPC than both the phenom II 900 series and FX 8000 series cpus. This is because they combine the piledriver architecture with a smaller L3 cache (4MB in the 6000 series vs. 8MB in the 8000 series and 900 series), this makes the IPC lower than either.

@killown
Your FX 6000 series cpu will need a higher clock rate to reach the same performance as your previous cpu, I'm sorry. I assure you this is not dolphins fault, it is a combination of AMD's fault (for their bad design) and your fault (for not doing enough research before you bought the cpu and automatically assuming that all applications would run faster on the new cpu despite benchmarks on the web clearly showing that this is not the case).

Admin89 also mentioned the problem with affinity. This could be killing your performance as well. If your linux kernel is out of date it will not properly assign thread affinities to account for CMT. Make sure it is up to date (less than a year old).
I am not going to buy a processor exclusivelly for dolphin.
Pretty sure that is a dolphin fault, the minimap bug is a dolphin fault.
I am playiing mario galaxy which is considered a demanding game and I get 60 fps most of the time
The i5 3570k is faster for mostly everything anyways, no big deal.

Try playing Mario Galaxy with LLE and you'll see it's not fullspeed
It's not Dolphin's fault. The code is vendor agnostic; most of it's C++ and bits of x86 and x64 assembly. The problem is with how AMD designs their FX 6000 CPUs, as NV already explained.

The minimap error is due to setting EFB Copies to Texture, and this can easily be fixed by using RAM instead.

SMG1 and SMG2 are not especially CPU intensive when using HLE audio. These games will become very CPU intensive when using LLE audio, however. They are pretty GPU intensive however, even at 1x IR in certain points.
(05-12-2013, 04:33 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]It's not Dolphin's fault. The code is vendor agnostic; most of it's C++ and bits of x86 and x64 assembly. The problem is with how AMD designs their FX 6000 CPUs, as NV already explained.

The minimap error is due to setting EFB Copies to Texture, and this can easily be fixed by using RAM instead.

SMG1 and SMG2 are not especially CPU intensive when using HLE audio. These games will become very CPU intensive when using LLE audio, however. They are pretty GPU intensive however, even at 1x IR in certain points.
ok, so the point is, phenon x4 955BE seems much better than fx 6300 for dolphin-emu. I was trying to figure out if it's a bios issue but seems not to be the case.
(05-11-2013, 12:46 PM)killown Wrote: [ -> ]Phenon

(05-12-2013, 09:36 AM)killown Wrote: [ -> ]phenon

Next time feel free to ask the people here for advice before buying hardware. Any one of us probably would have told you to just keep the Pheno[color=red]m[/color] if you were going to "upgrade" to that AMD FX CPU.
Pages: 1 2