Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Having hardware issues, would absolutely love some help.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Swamp85

Hello Dolphin Forums! I finally broke and made an account.

So here's the issue. I'm not sure if my GPU and CPU are at their fullest abilities so to speak. My parents got me this laptop for Christmas, so I'd appreciate if it wasn't insulted. It's an ENVY dv6, and these are it's specs:

Windows 8 x64 - Don't believe Win8 is the issue.
Intel i5-2450m @2.50GHz - I've searched and seen that a lot of the mobile CPUs can be 'turboboosted', but I'm not sure of mine.
8GB RAM
[Integrated] INTEL HD 3000 - I believe most applications are using this for whatever reason.
NVIDIA Geforce GT 630m - Looking at YouTube videos, I should have no problem with a lot of games.

Now here's the deal, I've tried everything to get any game to use my NVIDIA card, and they all run slow. Not just Dolphin games too. NVIDIA Inspector says Dolphin is using my NVIDIA GPU, judging from the load %. However, DirectX11 has the "failed to enumerate outputs" error, and on OpenGL and DirectX9 they just run slowly.

I really don't know if I have bad hardware, or faulty hardware. I'd also love to know how to turboboost my CPU if possible.

Oh, and as for the games I'd like to be playing:

Spoiler:

Swamp85

(05-08-2013, 10:37 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Click here
It seems to have done nothing. NSMBWii still runs at 45-50 FPS at 2x. And I still can't run DX11.

Okay, so apparently it does a lot, after testing on OpenGL which is the only thing that lets me use my NVIDIA card for any application. But some games don't work under OpenGL, so I'm kind of screwed.

Not only that, but the temperatures get up to 95 degrees.
Quote:temperatures get up to 95 degrees.
Both your CPU & GPU will throttle (clock speed go down) at that temp . Your laptop is in dangerous state , you should not play game until you fix it
Acceptable temp : 85 degree Celsius or lower for both CPU & GPU
Recommend : 75 degree or lower
Good temp : 70 degree or lower
Take apart your laptop , clean old thermal compound and dust and then reapply aftermarket thermal compound (Arctic MX-4)

Swamp85

(05-08-2013, 12:10 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:temperatures get up to 95 degrees.
Both your CPU & GPU will throttle (clock speed go down) at that temp . Your laptop is in dangerous state , you should not play game until you fix it
Acceptable temp : 85 degree Celsius or lower for both CPU & GPU
Recommend : 75 degree or lower
Good temp : 70 degree or lower
Take apart your laptop , clean old thermal compound and dust and then reapply aftermarket thermal compound (Arctic MX-4)
Yes but how do I fix my OpenGL issue?
OpenGL give you better speed or sth ?

Swamp85

OpenGL gives me way better speed, but graphical glitches. I'm also going up to CPU temp 100 degrees.
Then this has nothing do to with Dolphin . When I got this laptop (Jan 2011) , I could only choose OpenGL to use Nvidia GPU due to their faulty Optimus driver (All Nvidia GT 540M users have this problem at that time)
Not only Nvidia Optimus but also AMD switchable graphics
I had to wait till April 2011 , Nvidia finally released the fixed driver that worked for me (and still not worked for some people)
Try to use Nvidia beta driver , see if that work for you
Edit : By saying "beta" , I mean the latest driver

And try Directx June 2010
See if that help