Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Low Power Haswell for new PC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

singlecut

Hi friends! I'm looking to build a new HTPC around Haswell. I'll be using it for DVR purposes, and so it will basically be on 24/7. I'm looking for the most power efficient processor that can also handle Dolphin duties for me. I'll be buying in the next few months and so I'm thinking Haswell. I'm looking to play in 1080 mode or at least 720, mostly the first party Nintendo games (mario galaxy 1, 2, zelda, super smash, mario kart). They seem to all run just fine on my Phenom II X4 965 based on my casual observation. I've been looking into the I5 3470S, 3470T series, hoping to save some power, but not sure if they'll(the Haswell equivalent) provide the juice I want. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Welcome to the Forums!

What is your budget?

singlecut

(05-07-2013, 07:29 AM)noah Wrote: [ -> ]Welcome to the Forums!

What is your budget?
Thanks!

Money's not a real big concern at all, I've priced all the Haswell parts (speculation) and newer AMD stuff too and nothing's out of the question.
You will not able to play SMG full speed with LLE . Those low power Haswell CPUs are out of the question
Nothing less than an i5 3570k @ 4.2GHz (overclocked) for SMG + LLE and i5 3570k @ 4.5GHz for Zelda TP - Hyrule Field + EFB copies to Ram + LLE and The Last Story - Lazulis City
So either i5 3570k + Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 or i5 4670k + Z87 mobo will do the job

singlecut

Thanks, thats exactly what I needed to know!
Btw , an i5 2400 @ 3.4GHz / i5 3300 @ 3.2GHz perform almost the same as Phenom II x6 4.5GHz or FX 8350 @ 4.5GHz in Dolphin
Phenom II x6 is also faster than Phenom II x4 in Dolphin
Everything is base on Dolphin Benchmark
We don't know much about haswell's lineup or performance with dolphin yet. It's not out yet. And I promise you that the T and S editions will not be out for some time after the initial release.
The 4670K will most likely be able to run anything that runs once overclocked, though. It'll also almost definitely be available upon release.