Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: [GC] Namco Museum
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Wiki Page - Namco Museum - [edit]

I have issues with this game.  If I play any of the arrangement versions of the games they stutter to the point of being unplayable.

This has happened for me on any of the builds I've tried.  I'm using build 4869 just now.  I've tried D3D, OGL and Vulcan but it makes no difference.

Anyone else have this issue?
Anyone? If I don't hear from anybody in the next day or two, I'm going to update the wiki entry as from what I can tell the game is pretty broken.

I've tried another couple of nightly Dolphin builds as well as Ishiiruka. The arrangement games stutter just as badly in every iteration...
The above issue is still evident. I have use countless builds since I posted above, the last update being today (8516).

All the arrangement games stutter and skip making them unplayable.

Should this game be marked as unplayable? I'm not sure how to categorise it as it's a collection and the standard versions seem to run okay.
Sorry for the lack of response Psycho Fox.

The video on the Wiki page seems to show it playing OK in 4.0.2. Though it's old, can you confirm if you still see issues with that version?

You may also want to try adding a "portable.txt" to your Dolphin folders to reset settings to their defaults, and confirm you still see problems then.
(08-07-2018, 02:21 PM)Kolano Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry for the lack of response Psycho Fox.

The video on the Wiki page seems to show it playing OK in 4.0.2. Though it's old, can you confirm if you still see issues with that version?

You may also want to try adding a "portable.txt" to your Dolphin folders to reset settings to their defaults, and confirm you still see problems then.

Thanks for replying.

I just downloaded 4.0.2.  Galaga Arrangement doesn't have the hitching and stuttering but it does have minor graphical issues (sprites being drawn in random places of the screen for a couple of frames).  Dig Dug Arrangement is totally broken though.  It loads but once the game starts proper there are only a couple of sprites shown and the rest of the background is totally black.

Everything was left at default.  I didn't even remap a controller (just used the default key bindings).

I reset my settings (and used a portable.txt file) for build  8516.  The stuttering is still evident.

Again, thanks for replying with suggestions. Smile
(08-08-2018, 08:34 AM)Psycho Fox Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for replying.

I just downloaded 4.0.2.  Galaga Arrangement doesn't have the hitching and stuttering but it does have minor graphical issues (sprites being drawn in random places of the screen for a couple of frames).  Dig Dug Arrangement is totally broken though.  It loads but once the game starts proper there are only a couple of sprites shown and the rest of the background is totally black.

Everything was left at default.  I didn't even remap a controller (just used the default key bindings).

I reset my settings (and used a portable.txt file) for build  8516.  The stuttering is still evident.

Again, thanks for replying with suggestions. Smile

I granted you wiki edit rights if you want to update it / this threads first page with your findings.

SlappyHappy2000

Hello, I'm new around here, and I would like to make a few clarifications about Namco Museum, which as of the latest beta still has a whole slew of issues that make it a bit annoying to play.
The wiki page is extremely outdated, as it lists of the music problem in Pac-Man Arrangement as the only issue, which is NOT the case. Quite a few of the games have things that need to be fixed (mostly small), and I have listed the ones that I have found, which don't seem to be talked about often anywhere else.

PAC-MAN:
Pac-Man seems to be fine, except for an extremely minor audio issue during the intermission cutscenes, in which the intermission theme will cut off a little early, resulting in the whole song not being played.

PAC-MAN ARRANGEMENT:
The most obvious issue is the music problem mentioned on the wiki, but it's already in a lot of detail.
Another thing that I have noticed is that some of the textures seem weirdly corrupted, most noticeable with the effects on Pac-Man spawning/respawning in a stage and with the hammers destroying the final boss on the last stage. However, textures being incorrect might be a problem with every single version of the game, emulated or not.

GALAGA:
I did not spot anything in Galaga, the game seems to run nicely.

GALAGA ARRANGEMENT:
Everything seems to be okay, except for the fact that the game will stop and start quite frequently (I think some people call this "stuttering"), resulting in extremely slow and frustrating gameplay. The stops and starts also seem to be random and not determined by any specific events. There were also mentions of Galaga Arrangement crashing the game here and there, but it never happened to me.

DIG DUG:
Dig Dug looks to be alright, no issues spotted.

DIG DUG ARRANGEMENT:
Like Galaga Arrangement, stuttering is frequent and it happens randomly during gameplay.
There is also a weird quirk with the music of this game, in which the drum track seems to run at a faster speed than the rest of the track, resulting in some desynced music. This can be heard in the Continue and Moon themes of Dig Dug Arrangement.

POLE POSITION:
Pole Position looks fine to me.

POLE POSITION II:
I haven't played Pole Position II yet.

MS. PAC-MAN:
Ms. Pac-Man runs well, nothing wrong there.

GALAXIAN:
Galaxian is free of issues.

PAC-ATTACK:
Like Pac-Man Arrangement, there is an audio issue relating to the music. Letting the "Game Over" sequence in Normal Mode or the "Round Clear" sequence in Puzzle Mode play out will cause the music for the next scene to be completely absent (whether it be a new puzzle stage or the high score screen).

PAC-MANIA:
Getting a game over and then continuing the game immediately will cause the background music not to play until you lose a life or clear the stage.

And of course, one of the more well-known issues is that the nkit.ISO rom of Namco Museum will crash at the menu.
I'm using the most recent beta of Dolphin, which as of now is 5.0-14344. If I missed anything or got anything misunderstood, please correct me!
(07-14-2021, 05:08 AM)SlappyHappy2000 Wrote: [ -> ]Hello, I'm new around here, and I would like to make a few clarifications about Namco Museum, which as of the latest beta still has a whole slew of issues that make it a bit annoying to play.
The wiki page is extremely outdated, as it lists of the music problem in Pac-Man Arrangement as the only issue, which is NOT the case. Quite a few of the games have things that need to be fixed (mostly small), and I have listed the ones that I have found, which don't seem to be talked about often anywhere else.

PAC-MAN:
Pac-Man seems to be fine, except for an extremely minor audio issue during the intermission cutscenes, in which the intermission theme will cut off a little early, resulting in the whole song not being played.

PAC-MAN ARRANGEMENT:
The most obvious issue is the music problem mentioned on the wiki, but it's already in a lot of detail.
Another thing that I have noticed is that some of the textures seem weirdly corrupted, most noticeable with the effects on Pac-Man spawning/respawning in a stage and with the hammers destroying the final boss on the last stage. However, textures being incorrect might be a problem with every single version of the game, emulated or not.

GALAGA:
I did not spot anything in Galaga, the game seems to run nicely.

GALAGA ARRANGEMENT:
Everything seems to be okay, except for the fact that the game will stop and start quite frequently (I think some people call this "stuttering"), resulting in extremely slow and frustrating gameplay. The stops and starts also seem to be random and not determined by any specific events. There were also mentions of Galaga Arrangement crashing the game here and there, but it never happened to me.

DIG DUG:
Dig Dug looks to be alright, no issues spotted.

DIG DUG ARRANGEMENT:
Like Galaga Arrangement, stuttering is frequent and it happens randomly during gameplay.
There is also a weird quirk with the music of this game, in which the drum track seems to run at a faster speed than the rest of the track, resulting in some desynced music. This can be heard in the Continue and Moon themes of Dig Dug Arrangement.

POLE POSITION:
Pole Position looks fine to me.

POLE POSITION II:
I haven't played Pole Position II yet.

MS. PAC-MAN:
Ms. Pac-Man runs well, nothing wrong there.

GALAXIAN:
Galaxian is free of issues.

PAC-ATTACK:
Like Pac-Man Arrangement, there is an audio issue relating to the music. Letting the "Game Over" sequence in Normal Mode or the "Round Clear" sequence in Puzzle Mode play out will cause the music for the next scene to be completely absent (whether it be a new puzzle stage or the high score screen).

PAC-MANIA:
Getting a game over and then continuing the game immediately will cause the background music not to play until you lose a life or clear the stage.

And of course, one of the more well-known issues is that the nkit.ISO rom of Namco Museum will crash at the menu.
I'm using the most recent beta of Dolphin, which as of now is 5.0-14344. If I missed anything or got anything misunderstood, please correct me!

Thanks for the feedback, I've updated the Wiki data for the non-stutter related issues.

SlappyHappy2000

(07-14-2021, 02:36 PM)Kolano Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the feedback, I've updated the Wiki data for the non-stutter related issues.

Hello,
Thanks for taking notice and putting these things up on the wiki! Just a few more things I'd like to say.

You seem to have listed "Pac-Attack" as "Pac-Attack Arrangement", which is a mistake. Maybe you could fix that even though it's really minor?
A mistake on MY part, however, is that while playing Dig Dug Arrangement on the PS2 port of Namco Museum, I noticed that the drum desync was an issue there as well. So it isn't something on Dolphin's part, it's just a mistake on porting the game to all versions of the collection, meaning that it might be best to remove that tidbit from the wiki.
After playing through the entirety of Dig Dug Arrangement and Galaga Arrangement (painfully, with stutter) and playing Pole Position II, there do not seem to be any more issues to report!
Although, I am curious as to why the stuttering in some of the Arrangement games isn't listed on the wiki... is there an easy configuration fix that I missed?
Pages: 1 2