Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin with Steam
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
So a few months ago I sent a request to fix an issue with Steam compatability with Dolphin.

I had issues trying to get the overlay to work alongside my Dolphin games, at first I thought it was an issue with Dolphin itself, then I dicovered that the issue lays with adding individual games to the library, whereas adding Dolphin.exe and launching games this way would yield sufficient results.

However, with my attempt at creating my own super console with Big Picture (I have various console emulators added here), using a mouse is a pretty big annoyance. I want a smooth gaming experience with nothing but my controller.

Please don't start telling me to use a mouse. I'm setting this up for use with the big TV in the living room and I'm not taking all of my PC peripherals to this room. Nor do I want to use a program to map mouse movements to the pad, which will mess extremely with all of my other games.

Anyhoo, right now, I'm using, for example, the following simple bat file (converted to exe for steam compatability):

Code:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Emulators\Gamecube&Wii\Dolphin\Dolphin.exe" /e "C:\Program Files (x86)\Emulators\Gamecube&Wii\Gamecube\Game Files\s3-zeltw.gcm"

This loads up the emulator alongside the gcm file (in this case, twilight princess) and launches just fine, only the overlay doesn't respond in the slightest.

I find Steam's overlay to be significantly useful and would love to be able to use it alongside Dolphin.

If anyone could help me out here, it'd be just dandy. Hopefully, there is another method to launch the game that'll give decent compatability with Steam, if anyone knows how I can do this, please let me know.

My ticket remains accepted, but I'm pretty sure interest has been lost by the devs due to my finding of the bug.
The guy who accepted it seems to be away for a while at the moment. If he did have intentions of doing something with this, it may not be going to happen anytime soon. Unless someone else decides to do something with it, you might be out of luck for now.
Don't use a .bat file. I figured out a way to get the overlay to work. I posted it on another forum in case someone needed it. Here it is:

Wii/GCN games on Steam WITH Overlay

First thing you have to do is add the Dolphin emulator to the Steam library as a Non-Steam game.

Next you go into the properties of the emulator through Steam. Just right click it in the Steam menu then click on "Properties"

Where it says Target change it to something similar to this:

"E:\Dolphin\Dolphin.exe" /e "F:\Gamecube\Double Dash.iso" /b

The first part is the location of the application for your emulator. The /e lets the emulator know to run this .iso when it starts. The second file location is the .iso you want the emulator to run and the /b closes the emulator when you exit the game.

After doing all that the game should work perfectly with Steam!

To do multiple Wii games on Steam simply make a copy of the application (not a shortcut) and repeat the process with a separate .iso

PM me if you have any questions, I am glad to help anyone out.
My hero <3

works fantabulously!
(05-05-2013, 05:38 AM)catabarez Wrote: [ -> ]Don't use a .bat file. I figured out a way to get the overlay to work. I posted it on another forum in case someone needed it. Here it is:

Wii/GCN games on Steam WITH Overlay

First thing you have to do is add the Dolphin emulator to the Steam library as a Non-Steam game.

Next you go into the properties of the emulator through Steam. Just right click it in the Steam menu then click on "Properties"

Where it says Target change it to something similar to this:

"E:\Dolphin\Dolphin.exe" /e "F:\Gamecube\Double Dash.iso" /b

The first part is the location of the application for your emulator. The /e lets the emulator know to run this .iso when it starts. The second file location is the .iso you want the emulator to run and the /b closes the emulator when you exit the game.

After doing all that the game should work perfectly with Steam!

To do multiple Wii games on Steam simply make a copy of the application (not a shortcut) and repeat the process with a separate .iso

PM me if you have any questions, I am glad to help anyone out.

THANK YOU SO MUCH Heart

Also, it seems that I am not the only one who aims at a perfect integration with Big Picture...
I gotchu guys Tongue I figured it out some months ago Smile

Turfew

I've done exactly this but without Big Picture, just so I can have all of the games I play on my PC in the one place. The Steam library looks great in grid mode, I highly recommend adding Wii/GC titles to the Steam Library and setting a custom grid image, I get mine from http://steamicons.blogspot.com.au/
(06-06-2013, 02:45 PM)Turfew Wrote: [ -> ]I've done exactly this but without Big Picture, just so I can have all of the games I play on my PC in the one place. The Steam library looks great in grid mode, I highly recommend adding Wii/GC titles to the Steam Library and setting a custom grid image, I get mine from http://steamicons.blogspot.com.au/
http://steambanners.booru.org/
This is even better in my opinion Smile

Turfew

(06-06-2013, 04:49 PM)Malvaaaaa Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-06-2013, 02:45 PM)Turfew Wrote: [ -> ]I've done exactly this but without Big Picture, just so I can have all of the games I play on my PC in the one place. The Steam library looks great in grid mode, I highly recommend adding Wii/GC titles to the Steam Library and setting a custom grid image, I get mine from http://steamicons.blogspot.com.au/
http://steambanners.booru.org/
This is even better in my opinion Smile
Thanks! This site is a lot better Big Grin
can i ask how do u guys exit dolphin and return to big picture mode please?
Pages: 1 2 3