Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Buying new computer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/UR3j

First of all, I'm doing my first build, and you'll have to forgive me if I'm a little ignorant toward these things. How will this computer handle Dolphin?

I'm planning on running the computer on a 1920x1080 resolution, and playing games such as the Metroid Prime Trilogy, F-Zero GX, DKCR, the Last Story, Brawl, Skyward Sword, etc, etc.

Also when planning to Overclock for Dolphin, how high will I need to OC? Will that fan be enough? I live in an area where temperatures easily get to about 40C during the summer, and stay about 34-39C in my house (I don't have good AC).

If anything doesn't work, what do I need to change? And how can I change it reasonably cheaply? The build is already breaking my wallet as it is. Is there anything else I need to change?

Thank you in advance!

Edit: I just realized I should probably include OS. I have a choice between either Windows 7 or 8, and I don't know which one to pick. How does Dolphin do with each? Is Windows 8 worth it?
2500K? That's pretty friggin old dude. A friend of mine just bought a 3570K for $130 at microcenter on sale. Clearing out space for the Haswells. You need to shop around more. Speaking of Haswell, don't worry about waiting, the improvements are focused more on fighting ARM, and will have minimal gains for the high end. If you can get a 3570K for cheap, like my friend did, by all means go for it.
Also get cooler master hyper 212 evo instead . It's much cheaper and it can push i5 3570k to 4.4GHz
For the mobo , get either Asrock Z77 Extreme 3 or 4
For the GPU , get Gigabyte Windforce 7950 (300$) instead
Edit : Forgot to mention : GTX 780 is coming this month (May 23) , GTX 770 or 760 will come later . If you wait for 700 series card....
(05-04-2013, 11:36 AM)Adenade Wrote: [ -> ]Metroid Prime Trilogy, F-Zero GX, DKCR, the Last Story, Brawl, Skyward Sword

And you'll need to overclock for all these games (except Brawl).

Currently 3570k is definitely the best choice you can do
So more like this one?
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/UWaP

Is that better? I'd like to be slower about it, but if I order the computer in the next week or so I can get my hands on a free copy of Windows that I might not be able to if I wait.
Sorry again for my ignorance. I'm new at all of this and only kind of know what I'm doing (barely).

Also, is Windows 8 better than 7? Or worse? I haven't heard too much about 8 and don't know if it's worth it.

Edit: Also thank you for the criticism!
(05-04-2013, 11:16 PM)Adenade Wrote: [ -> ]So more like this one?
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/UWaP

That's all you need Big Grin .

(05-04-2013, 11:16 PM)Adenade Wrote: [ -> ]Also, is Windows 8 better than 7? Or worse? I haven't heard too much about 8 and don't know if it's worth it.

Not worse. But not better either Tongue . Windows 7 works just fine. Upgrading to Windows 8 is not "essential". It's subjective though
(05-05-2013, 12:39 AM)LordVador Wrote: [ -> ]Not worse. But not better either Tongue . Windows 7 works just fine. Upgrading to Windows 8 is not "essential". It's subjective though
Okay, noted. I guess I'll just go with 8 then.

And one final question: This will end up being a pretty good gaming computer in general, right? Will it be able to play most games that come out on high or very high settings? I know this is a dolphin forum, but I'd be pretty bummed if I dropped $1100 on a computer and it didn't run other stuff besides Dolphin that well.
I imagine it will, I just want to be sure.

Thanks for the help, everyone!
(05-06-2013, 11:17 PM)Adenade Wrote: [ -> ]And one final question: This will end up being a pretty good gaming computer in general, right? Will it be able to play most games that come out on high or very high settings? I know this is a dolphin forum, but I'd be pretty bummed if I dropped $1100 on a computer and it didn't run other stuff besides Dolphin that well.

Well if it runs Dolphin it will run any other emulator Tongue (PCSX2, DeSmuME, etc).

And it's OK for PC games too
(05-06-2013, 11:25 PM)LordVador Wrote: [ -> ]Well if it runs Dolphin it will run any other emulator Tongue (PCSX2, DeSmuME, etc).

And it's OK for PC games too
Oh, it'll run PCSX2 too? Cool! I had no idea.

And by okay, does that mean it should run anything that's out now? Will it run new things like Bioshock Infinite on high graphics? (I know not Dolphin related at all, just making sure the computer will be able to run Dolphin and do the other stuff I want it to do).
7950 is top high-end GPU , you can run all PC games with this GPU (all high settings of course)
Only 7970 , GTX 680 , 7990 , GTX 690 , GTX Titan are noticeably faster atm (Don't count older GPUs such as GTX 590)
Pages: 1 2