Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Amd fx-8350 Dolphin Performance - Linux
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'd like to know if Amd fx-8350 could perform better with zelda twighlight at hyrule field, actually, (due to the emulator bug when drawing mini map "even with ZTB hack enable") I get 20 FPS in hyrule field while in wolf mode, if back to normal 26FPS, and my processor is Phenon 955BE OC 3.6, I am planning OC fx-8350 for 4.5ghz, this could solve the performance problem?

PLease, NO I5-3570k!, I don't have motherboard for this.

SPEC:
Phenon x4 955be 3.6ghz
Gtx580LE 3GB RAM
System RAM 16GB
Dolphin 3.5-LASTEST
OS Archlinux x86_64
killtown Wrote:(due to the emulator bug when drawing mini map "even with ZTB hack enable")

What bug are you referring to? The mini map is supposed to be drawn with ZTB hack enabled. And ZTB hack is just a hack to improve performance, it doesn't fix any bugs.

An FX 8350 at 4.5GHz would be slightly faster. Maybe 10-15% faster. So that would be 22-23 fps in wolf mode and 28-30 fps in human mode. I really doubt it's worth it just to run hyrule field a bit faster.
(05-04-2013, 03:50 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]
killtown Wrote:(due to the emulator bug when drawing mini map "even with ZTB hack enable")

What bug are you referring to? The mini map is supposed to be drawn with ZTB hack enabled. And ZTB hack is just a hack to improve performance, it doesn't fix any bugs.

An FX 8350 at 4.5GHz would be slightly faster. Maybe 10-15% faster. So that would be 22-23 fps in wolf mode and 28-30 fps in human mode. I really doubt it's worth it just to run hyrule field a bit faster.
I am using phenon 955BE with OC at 3.6GHZ, what if fx 8350 get OC at 4.6GHZ, since dolphin can use two cores, that means a boost of more 2GHZ and fx 8350 is a new and may be a better architecture, even so it will boost only 10-15%?
I already get 23-24 fps in wolf mode if overclocked at 4ghz
killown Wrote:I am using phenon 955BE with OC at 3.6GHZ, what if fx 8350 get OC at 4.6GHZ, since dolphin can use two cores, that means a boost of more 2GHZ

I'm not following your math. 4.6 GHz - 3.6 GHz = 1 GHz. Not 2 GHz.

killown Wrote:and fx 8350 is a new and may be a better architecture, even so it will boost only 10-15%?

New microarchitectures don't always have higher IPC (instructions per clock cycle). IPC on piledriver is either the same or slightly lower in most applications compared to phenom II. If it ends up being the same you'll get a 25-30% boost. If it ends up being slightly lower like I suspect it will only be 10-15%.

Edit: Ok I just went and checked our benchmarking data. IPC is about the same. Which means at 4.6GHz you should see about a 28% increase in performance compared to your 955BE running at 3.6GHz. It will be harder to cool though. Compared to your 955BE running at 4.0GHz you will only see a 15% increase in performance. So 26 fps in wolf mode and 30+ fps in human mode.
Don`t sweat it

ZTP has still many performance problems, with the money you gonna spend on a PC fast enough to get good framerates, you may just get the real thing (support developers once in a while).

and the Piledriver is just between 10% to 25% faster than the Phenom II, AMD almost got stoned for that.
Zelda TP - Hyrule Field need i5 3570k @ 4.5GHz to run full speed all the time (with LLE audio of course)
Base on Zelda WW benchmark ,Both FX 8350 @ 4.0 and FX 8150 @ 4.6GHz is slower than i5 2400 @ 3.4GHz
So if you wish to run Zelda TP full speed all the time with LLE audio , you will have to push your FX 8350 over 5GHz
And pushing it that far will use ssssoooooooooo much electricity, and it'll be hard to cool.
(05-04-2013, 02:36 AM)killown Wrote: [ -> ]I'd like to know if Amd fx-8350 could perform better with zelda twighlight at hyrule field

Not as good as 3570k Big Grin . But better than your Phenom yeah of course.

Btw for the map you have to use EFB to RAM (more demanding for your CPU)