Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Would this be suffecient to play dolphin at a good rate?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
hey guys.

I know there are a lot of threads like this but as some of you may know I have a fairly decent system already and it fails to come upto standard and has baffled some members on here(I think it maybe just getting past it)

So my water pump packed in and cooked my processor last night and I decided to start pricing up a new build.

Unfortunatley, this is already out of my budget so i certinly cannot go any more but here is what I propose.

Unit Price
Ex VAT Link No.DescriptionScansure
AvailableEx VATInc VAT

£199.17

[Image: 1707255-st-a.jpg]

LN42831

[Image: List_Instock.gif]
Intel Core i7 3770,1155, Ivy Bridge, Quad Core, 3.4GHz, 5 GT/s DMI, 650MHz GPU, 8MB Smart Cache, 34x Ratio, 77W, Retail[Image: Insure_On.gif]
£199.17

£239.00

£65.77

[Image: no_image.gif]

LN47996

Asus P8Z77-V LX2, Intel Z77, S 1155, DDR3, SATA III - 6Gb/s, RAID, PCIe 3.0 (x16), D-Sub/HDMI, ATX[Image: Insure_On.gif]
£65.77

£78.92

£42.80

[Image: 1315274-st-a.jpg]

LN35345

8GB (2x4GB) Corsair DDR3 XMS3, PC3-12800 (1600), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 9-9-9-24, 1.65V[Image: Insure_On.gif]
£42.80

£51.36

£41.49

[Image: 1668602-st-a.jpg]

LN42410

1TB Seagate ST1000DM003 Barracuda 7200.14 SATA 6Gb/s 7200rpm 64mb Cache 8ms NCQ OEM[Image: Insure_On.gif]
£41.49

£49.79

£27.28

[Image: no_image.gif]

LN48728

Coolermaster K-280 Black Mid Tower Performance Case w/o PSU[Image: Insure_On.gif]
£27.28

£32.74

£11.55

[Image: 1668821-st-a.jpg]

LN42412

550W ACE PSUACE550BR, Black with Red 12cm Fan, ATX v2.03, PSU[Image: Insure_On.gif]
£11.55

£13.86

£69.55

[Image: 1450182-st-a.jpg]

LN38246

1GB EVGA GTX 550 Ti FPB, 4356MHz GDDR5, GPU 951MHz, Shader 1903MHz, 192 Cores, 2x DL DVI-I/ mini HDMI[Image: Insure_On.gif]
£69.55

£83.46
"Dolphin" isn't the name of a game, so I couldn't tell you if it can "play Dolphin" or not. That would be like a person wanting to play a specific PC game, but instead he asks "can my computer play PC?". That wouldn't make a whole lot of sense and so I'd have to ask you which game(s) you'd want to play, or what you're talking about.
Get yourself a 3570K instead. And a 650 TI instead of a 550 TI.

craigrobbo Wrote:but as some of you may know I have a fairly decent system already and it fails to come upto standard and has baffled some members on here(I think it maybe just getting past it)

I have no idea what you're referring to and I would really like to avoid digging through your post history to find out. Please link the thread that you're referring to next time.
(04-29-2013, 04:20 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]Get yourself a 3570K instead. And a 650 TI instead of a 550 TI.

craigrobbo Wrote:but as some of you may know I have a fairly decent system already and it fails to come upto standard and has baffled some members on here(I think it maybe just getting past it)

I have no idea what you're referring to and I would really like to avoid digging through your post history to find out. Please link the thread that you're referring to next time.
I cannot afford the extra unfortunately for the 650ti,

I was mostly playing metroid prime 3 with serious issues, lagging around 24FPS even with recommended settings from the forum - My CPU struggles to overclock much - I think I have a bad one bar the fact its over 4 years old now.

Its in the metroid prime thread under games but its lost in the middle somewhere - But since I cooked my CPU I thought now would be a good time to rebuild as any.

(04-29-2013, 04:17 AM)Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]"Dolphin" isn't the name of a game, so I couldn't tell you if it can "play Dolphin" or not. That would be like a person wanting to play a specific PC game, but instead he asks "can my computer play PC?". That wouldn't make a whole lot of sense and so I'd have to ask you which game(s) you'd want to play, or what you're talking about.
Thanks for the helpful advice.
(04-29-2013, 04:59 AM)craigrobbo Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the helpful advice.

Actually, my "advice" was very helpful, you just didn't realize it. As the rules that you didn't bother to read state:

Quote:Don't list your specs and then run off. Listing your specs (PC hardware information) and then asking what speeds you should expect would not be a valid post. Other things are needed from you, like exactly which games you want to play and what level of graphic detail you want or expect. Depending on the game, full-speed can be achieved on an average PC or the game could need a PC that is very powerful. It's not a simple all yes or all no answer (unless your PC is really outdated), so give more details when you post.

Answering my question and reading the rules would ensure that you don't waste your time and money on something that isn't capable of doing what you want it to. It also ensures that you don't waste the users time on the forum, but it's obviously too late for that.
(04-29-2013, 05:20 AM)Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-29-2013, 04:59 AM)craigrobbo Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the helpful advice.

Actually, my "advice" was very helpful, you just didn't realize it. As the rules that you didn't bother to read state:

Quote:Don't list your specs and then run off. Listing your specs (PC hardware information) and then asking what speeds you should expect would not be a valid post. Other things are needed from you, like exactly which games you want to play and what level of graphic detail you want or expect. Depending on the game, full-speed can be achieved on an average PC or the game could need a PC that is very powerful. It's not a simple all yes or all no answer (unless your PC is really outdated), so give more details when you post.

Answering my question and reading the rules would ensure that you don't waste your time and money on something that isn't capable of doing what you want it to. It also ensures that you don't waste the users time on the forum, but it's obviously too late for that.
There is no reason to belittle me just because of my wording, I am pretty sure you know what i ment when i said 'play' dolphin.

I read the rules, i haven't ran off - I want to 'RUN' Dolphin and no specific game.

I was hoping it may have been a bit obvious but maybe not. I want to build a system that should play most games and maybe some of the more intense games.
He's right though. Games range from "it will run on a toaster" to "it might run ok if you delid your ivy bridge cpu and OC it to 6GHz with LN2". It's pretty hard to give you a straight answer without knowing which games you want to run.
(04-29-2013, 05:40 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]He's right though. Games range from "it will run on a toaster" to "it might run ok if you delid your ivy bridge cpu and OC it to 6GHz with LN2". It's pretty hard to give you a straight answer without knowing which games you want to run.
I would like to run a large verity from Sonic, Resident evil(all of) Metroid, Pikmin, james bond - I am not really set to any one.

I was looking for a processor/system that would give me the best 'overall' performance.

i wasn't aware until now that a certain processor was good for certain games.

I'll just get the best my budget will allow and hope for the best.
CPU - I would advise getting a i5 3570k (as NV mentioned) if you do not need HT as this is £100 cheaper than the equiv i7 assuming you wish to overclock.

RAM - get the 1.5v version for sb/ib difference is a matter of couple quid.

PSU - No way, that is gonna cause you a world of problems at some point. On a budget, something like a XFX pro 450w (seasonic) would be good at £35ish

GPU - I'm assuming you aren't carrying over the 560ti? You could maybe stretch a 650ti by going i5 and using the spare for psu and gpu, far better choice than the i7 assuming you don't hammer out encodes or something...
(04-29-2013, 06:19 AM)lor Wrote: [ -> ]CPU - I would advise getting a i5 3570k (as NV mentioned) if you do not need HT as this is £100 cheaper than the equiv i7 assuming you wish to overclock.

RAM - get the 1.5v version for sb/ib difference is a matter of couple quid.

PSU - No way, that is gonna cause you a world of problems at some point. On a budget, something like a XFX pro 450w (seasonic) would be good at £35ish

GPU - I'm assuming you aren't carrying over the 560ti? You could maybe stretch a 650ti by going i5 and using the spare for psu and gpu, far better choice than the i7 assuming you don't hammer out encodes or something...
Thanks for that.

In essence I will end up with 2 computers in the end, using the best parts of the two to build one really good one.

Processor
The
I5 I would feel would be a downgrade to the i7 even though it is a 920
(old architecture) but benchmarks show that the i7 920 is still superior to the i5 Ivy, that being said I didn't get the performance I
would have liked from the i7 920 (not just in dolphin) so Would rather
go i7 ivy ideally.

For the ram, I am unsure what you mean by 'sb/ib'? Sorry.

PSU, i shall take the advice and maybe look at a corsair 9its served me well in my existing system)

Fortunately I have managed to swing an Extra £100 for my budget I don't know how much its come as a great coincidence.

I use my build also for full 3D CAD work, Rendering and dynamic simulation so the processor really is a must for that.

Genuinely helpful advice, taken on board and will look at a re config.

Craig
Pages: 1 2