Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Mono music in GC version of twilight princess with DSP HLE
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

thebox

Hi, sorry if this is the wrong place to post, I couldnt find where to post issues. This issue was originally posted:
http://code.google.com/p/dolphin-emu/iss...il?id=3505

and was merged:
http://code.google.com/p/dolphin-emu/iss...il?id=4452

This last page has closed the issue and is inviting new individual issues to delroth.

Is it possible that this mono music issue can be added as a new issue as I can confirm this is still happening with the latest build (eg the music playing in hyrule field is mono whereas sound effects are stereo)?

Best wishes

Box

Here is the original text of the issue:

Sequenced audio played with the HLE is mono instead of stereo

What steps will reproduce the problem?
1. Select the DSP HLE plugin
2. Start a game with sequences audio.

What is the expected output? What do you see instead?
Stereo output is expected. Instead the output is mono

Dolphin version with the problem? Other Dolphin version without the
problem?
Any recent revision. I tried earlier revisions up to about r3000, but none had stereo audio.

32-bit or 64-bit and any other build parameters?
Both 32-bit and 64-bit have this problem

Please provide any additional information below.
Games that I tested include Luigi's Mansion, Super Mario Sunshine, and Zelda WW/TP
delroth's rewritten the HLE for the DSP µcodes that pretty much all other games use (AX and AXWii) so that they have completely flawless audio (or at least there are no known bugs), but the HLE for the µcode that's used by these games (Zelda) is still shit.

Here's a list of Zelda µcode games off the top of my head:
-GameCube BIOS
-Luigi's Mansion
-Animal Crossing (possibly City Folk as well?)
-Zelda: Wind Waker/Twilight Princess (oddly, Skyward Sword uses AXWii)
-Super Mario Sunshine/Galaxy/Galaxy 2
-Mario Kart: Double Dash (possibly MKWii as well?)
-Possibly a few Mario Party games (too many of them, dunno which are Hudson and which are Nintendo)
(General rule of thumb: if Nintendo's internal development teams built the whole game (e.g. didn't have Retro Studios or Hudson or whoever do the main developin'), it uses the Zelda µcode.)

Point is, just use LLE for these games. If you're worried about performance, your CPU should be able to handle ZTP mostly fine, with the possible exception of Hyrule Field (especially later in the game). Overclock if you can, of course.

I'll throw a list of known Zelda µcode HLE bugs onto the issue tracker at some point.
@pauldacheez - You probably already know about this, but you can check out the relevant code comments here: http://code.google.com/p/dolphin-emu/sou...des.cpp#49

That said, I'm not sure if the comments alone account for every Zelda ucode game. Easy way to check if a game is using the Zelda ucode is to grab or compile a debug-fast version of Dolphin and monitor the DSPHLE log when booting a game.

thebox

Hi, many thanks for the reply

(04-30-2013, 06:53 AM)pauldacheez Wrote: [ -> ]the HLE for the µcode that's used by these games (Zelda) is still shit.

Do you know if there is going to be any more work done on the zelda µcode or was the new work just going to be for the AX code?

Quote:I'll throw a list of known Zelda µcode HLE bugs onto the issue tracker at some point.

I haven't really picked up on any other audio issues other than the mono music (maybe it's my ears lol) but I would appreciate the mono bug being added to the tracker.

Quote:Point is, just use LLE for
these games. If you're worried about performance, your CPU should be
able to handle ZTP mostly fine, with the possible exception of Hyrule
Field (especially later in the game).

My CPU is a i5-760 with 8Gb system memory and my graphics card is an ATI Radeon HD 5970, but I still find the music very choppy (eg in Castle Town) using LLE (recompiler) on both x86 and x64 versions of dolphin 3.5. Maybe it is something in my settings? I have AA turned off and AF turned right down, and I have tried ticking and unticking the DSP LLE on Thread.

Best wishes

Box
(04-30-2013, 11:03 PM)thebox Wrote: [ -> ]My CPU is a i5-760 with 8Gb system memory and my graphics card is an ATI Radeon HD 5970, but I still find the music very choppy (eg in Castle Town) using LLE (recompiler) on both x86 and x64 versions of dolphin 3.5. Maybe it is something in my settings? I have AA turned off and AF turned right down, and I have tried ticking and unticking the DSP LLE on Thread.

Overclock your CPU. 760 can do wonders with more juice Big Grin

thebox

I might look into overclocking, though I'm always worried about shortening the life of my PC.
If the mono/stereo thing was fixed in HLE, the current setup would be perfect Big Grin
Moved the necropost to the appropriate thread, and now time to close this.

*Closed*