Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Wind Waker - Super Slow & Super Fast
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
With Dolphin 3.0 (downloaded from WW Benchmark) Wind Waker runs at full speed no matter what, and above full speed if I don't limit FPS. I can even set it to 4xIR and it is still full speed. It wouldn't open today for some reason though, so that's why @NV I still haven't posted the benchmark or responded to your question.

With Dolphin 3.5, I play at full speed most of the time at 1.5xIR. I can't go higher. Today when I played it, however, after about 30 minutes of gameplay the FPS randomly dropped significantly, to around 23 FPS, and stayed there for about a minute. I guess this is a bottleneck...? I put EFB to RAM and it made no difference. I find this strange since I'm not limiting FPS and I get such worse results from when I used 3.0.

With Dolphin 3.5 -1xxx (I don't remember, but it is the newest one as of today) I couldn't handle it. The menu screen was fine and so was the opening, but when Link was talking to his sister on the place where she gives him the telescope, it was running at 30%. I got through it and when I walked around it would be super laggy, however it would spIke up to 30 FPS randomly. It would only do this for a few seconds, then go back to extreme lag at 5 FPS. I tried lowering all the settings all the way and still, I had severe lag.

Why such different results? What's wrong?

If it helps I'm running Norton Anti-Virus and Firefox while I play. I haven't updated any graphics drivers or anything like that, but I did update whatever it linked to in the FAQ since I got the xinputthingy.dll is missing error messege.

Please help. I just want reasonable speed on all versions of Dolphin. And I can't use my laptop until tomorrow at 7:15 PM (USA Eastern).
Quote:I just want reasonable speed on all versions of Dolphin
That's not possible
Quote:Dolphin 3.0 (downloaded from WW Benchmark) Wind Waker runs at full speed no matter what
That's is a pre-configured version of Starscream . He set "EFB copies to texture" via game .ini file. Even you set "EFB copies to Ram" via Dolphin graphic option , ini file will reverse it back to "EFB copies to texture"
Quote:With Dolphin 3.5, I put EFB to RAM and it made no difference
Because default ini settings for Zelda WW is "EFB copies to Ram" . Even you set "EFB copies to texture" via Dolphin graphic option , ini file will reverse it back to "EFB copies to Ram"

Quote: I can even set it to 4xIR and it is still full speed
That's normal . Zelda WW is a light-weight game
Try Xenoblade or Mario Galaxy , you can't run those games full speed even if you use 1xIR
4XIR is quite a feat for a HD 3000 even for windwaker, i assume you've yet to finish the game at 4XIR with that card as some places should see frame drops.
But why is 3.5 so much faster than the latest build? I can't even run the game at all without severe lag with the latter.
Noah I know you are young so I'm trying not to be rude. Your questions regarding this where answered two days ago in the WW benchmark thread by Shonumi and NaturalViolence? They told you that 3.5 is more demanding than 3.0 and the build from that thread uses "efb to texture" set in the game ini. Now ask yourself was it really necessary to open a new thread just to get basically the same answer?

admin89 is right. It is not possible to get good speeds on all versions of dolphin with your system. Several of us told you as much when you first got here and started shopping around for a computer. If you wanted a great dolphin experience you should have got a desktop. I remember your reasons for a laptop so you don't need to reiterate them here but you should expect less than stellar performance and many compromises running dolphin on that laptop.

Edit: A lot has happened in the latest builds since 3.5 stable. Graphics have become much more demanding in my experience. Also HLE audio has become more demanding due to its increased accuracy among other things. You should probably stick with 3.0 or 3.5 stable until you are able to get a decent system.
Actually, my main question is why I get severe lag with 3.5 1xxx (latest as of yesterday, don't remember name) but not 3.5 stable release. I never asked that before and I found this problem strange enough to make a new thread. And I am very happy with my laptop actually, it for everything I want it to do and then some.

Edit: Okay I'll stick with 3.5 I guess unless there is a build that is better than stable release but not hugely more demanding.
(04-27-2013, 01:02 AM)noah Wrote: [ -> ]Actually, my main question is why I get severe lag with 3.5 1xxx (latest as of yesterday, don't remember name) but not 3.5 stable release.
Answer to that is in the edit above.
I know see my edit above.

anom

(04-27-2013, 12:57 AM)Xalphenos Wrote: [ -> ]Noah I know you are young so I'm trying not to be rude. Your questions regarding this where answered two days ago in the WW benchmark thread by Shonumi and NaturalViolence? They told you that 3.5 is more demanding than 3.0 and the build from that thread uses "efb to texture" set in the game ini. Now ask yourself was it really necessary to open a new thread just to get basically the same answer?

admin89 is right. It is not possible to get good speeds on all versions of dolphin with your system. Several of us told you as much when you first got here and started shopping around for a computer. If you wanted a great dolphin experience you should have got a desktop. I remember your reasons for a laptop so you don't need to reiterate them here but you should expect less than stellar performance and many compromises running dolphin on that laptop.

Edit: A lot has happened in the latest builds since 3.5 stable. Graphics have become much more demanding in my experience. Also HLE audio has become more demanding due to its increased accuracy among other things. You should probably stick with 3.0 or 3.5 stable until you are able to get a decent system.

I understand this is a "forum" with FAQ's.. but is there any reason to lose control and be rude with someone just because of a computer game?
1. He didn't lose control
2. He wasn't rude
3. Dolphin is not a computer game
4. This thread is a year old

All he did was point out the fact that he kept asking the same question over and over again. A question which had already been answered. Therefore there was no reason to make a new thread to ask it again and inevitably receive the same answer. Pointing that out is not rude.