Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Multiplayer without port forwarding?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
First of all I just wish for all you guys that want to comment "Stop gaming start studying" to just stop reading any further, commenting something like that is not needed as I am not here to get a lesson.

What our problem is.. as we're gaming at school we obviously cannot port forward due to the school's network. But we have played the Project 64 and a whole lot other games with one another on LAN and such which has been a lot of fun but we want to start gaming some Gamecube / Wii games like both Super Smash games, Mario Kart, Mario Party and Zelda Four swords.

Is there a way for the four of us to play together without using such methods that require router access? It worked on Project 64's netplay so I hope it works on this one too.
If there's a way please help us, and if you find a solution for us, all of us will each donate a hundred dollars to the Project Dolphin Emulator as well as donate some for the perhaps that
helps us get through with this.

We'd really appreciate your help! I'll be checking this post a few times each hour!
If you're using your school's own computers, those will need to have some decent hardware, else running Dolphin with netplay is going to be far from fun. Dolphin is incredibly more demanding than anything PJ64 can play, AFAIK. If you can BYOD at your school (probably if you're at college) then that's not much of an issue, assuming you and your friends have good hardware Wink

I'm not too familiar with much about networking, but IIRC, you need port forwarding if anyone is behind a router. If you're all behind the same router or if you all are on the same LAN or something like that, then you should be good to go. There might be some network wizardry you can do if neither scenario turns out to be the case, but those two would be the simplest options that come to mind. Like I said, dunno much about networking, so I may be wrong.
Yeah our computers are rather good, though sadly we've not found out how to play four player over LAN yet, but thanks for trying Shonumi, it is really nice of you!
Try hamachi
Hamachi is sadly enough blocked for us over at the school =/
Can't you download it somewhere else then put it on a flash drive and then install it?
Problem isn't installation cause I can download it from Cnet, but the program itself is blocked. When I start it up it only displays at 0.0.0.0 on the IP
Forwarding ports should only be needed when connecting to a machine behind NAT. Firewalls on the individual machines or other devices may be blocking the traffic. In the future, dolphin's netplay should automatically handle NAT traversal, but that is not the case right now.

TLDR: If you can't open the ports you can't play.
So we cannot even play LAN then or ? I don't really get it, I'm not good at computers or internet for that matter. Sure I know how to port forward but the problem is I cannot access the router, we're all able to be on the same wireless network aswell as the same internet with cable.
Just to be sure, is there a way to get the Project 64's Netplay plugin?

When we use that on the project 64 EMU, all we have to type is /server 123 to host and then the ones that have to connect
just type in /connect 123 and then the IP behind it. Or perhaps it was /connect -IP- 123

and then we could gather four players and the host had to /start and that was it.
Pages: 1 2