Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dual Core Optimization question?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

neverwind

Hello All,

I'm new to Dolphin and the forums and I really like it.
However, I have a question about the multicore optimization setting. It says it creates separate threads for Video and CPU, but as I run a game, in a task manager, I can see only one thread for the dolphin.exe process. Isn't it supposed to create 2? I can see my other processes running on a lot more threads?
Sorry for the dumb question, but I'm not informed too much on processes and threads and stuff Blush

Thanks in advance to anyone who might share some info on the topic!

Best Regards,
Bobby
If dual core is turned on, then you'll get more than two threads. However, they may well show up in task manager as one process tree. To see them, ten you need to look in resource monitor (or whatever it's called).
Dolphin uses 2 threads when you just start it and do nothing. Running a game, even in single core should use 10-20+ threads. Whatever you're looking at isn't a thread count.
@neverwind you disabled "Dual Core" option via Dolphin , right ? You will run Dolphin with single core mode if you do that
That will still create multiple threads, just the main two threads will end up being labelled as one thread.
I think that you're misunderstanding what a thread are... In Task Manager, you'll see a list of processes, not threads... Dolphin uses various threads, but only one process. This is why you see only one instance of Dolphin instead a lot of processes (like Google Chrome, for example)...

In other words, threads != processes, this is why whatever you choose on Dolphin you'll see only one entry in the Task Manager.