Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dumping Decompressed Files with Properties>Filesystem?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

StarkNebula

Could Dolphin support a feature that would dump packaged/archived files once Dolphin unpacks/unarchives it? Ex: Dolphin reads a file called example.tpl.lz, unpacks it to example.tpl, then dumps it. Though it wouldn't be ideal if you had to play until Dolphin reads the file. However, is it possible for Dolphin to read and unpacked a file through the Properties>Filesystem feature? I know you can extract the file as-is, but is it possible for Dolphin to read and unpack it, then save that unpacked file? If Dolphin simply reads the example.tpl.lz and uses it without decompression, then nevermind, but if not, it would be useful for taking a close look at game files, especially for games that use weird formats that a GC/Wii just knows how to use.
You may want to reword this, as I can't tell with any degree of certainty what on earth you're talking about.
(04-21-2013, 08:15 AM)AnyOldName3 Wrote: [ -> ]You may want to reword this, as I can't tell with any degree of certainty what on earth you're talking about.
He's talking about extracting/decompressing/unpacking the game files.

There are many tools you can find online that do this for specific games. You just need to find them. Wink

StarkNebula

(04-21-2013, 08:15 AM)AnyOldName3 Wrote: [ -> ]You may want to reword this, as I can't tell with any degree of certainty what on earth you're talking about.
Sorry, I know it's a bit gibberish. What I mean is that Dolphin can already extract a game's files, but only as is. I was wondering if there could be support for extracting files unarchived/unpacked by getting Dolphin to decompress them.

(04-21-2013, 09:03 AM)Invader Wrote: [ -> ]There are many tools you can find online that do this for specific games. You just need to find them. Wink
That's quite true. The issue I'm faced with is that the tool I use (GXPAND) works for F-Zero GX, but not F-Zero AX (which is to be expected). I believe to have found the issue the tool is having, but can't really figure out how to fix it. Anyway, if extracting while at the same time decompressing that file works, it could be a useful feature to have. I get that nowadays there's a tool for almost any game, but it could be a good idea to implement for those obscure game.
From my knowledge, Dolphin can't implement this directly... Dolphin reads the game code and then recompile it in PC code, so, the algorithm responsible for decompressing the file is the code included in the game, not Dolphin. In other words, Dolphin only do what the game ask it for... Is the game code that "give" the decompression algorithm and them ask Dolphin to decompress the file...