Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: WBFS or GCZ or CISO?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What is the best format?
I want to save storage space and avoid speed penalty on Dolphin.

Does WBFS support GC games? Does GCZ support Wii games?
(04-21-2013, 03:03 AM)Goku Wrote: [ -> ]I want to save storage space and avoid speed penalty on Dolphin.

Use GCZ format.

(04-21-2013, 03:03 AM)Goku Wrote: [ -> ]Does WBFS support GC games?

No.

(04-21-2013, 03:03 AM)Goku Wrote: [ -> ]Does GCZ support Wii games?

Yes
Quote:What is the best format?
Depending on how you use it
If you have a Wii & External HDD to store your games and you want use that HDD for both Wii & Dolphin .... WBFS is the best format for that kind of job
If you only care about Dolphin , GCZ is the best format (support both GC & Wii games)
Within a few years, however, there may well be a homebrew CISO loader for the Wii, which, obviously, will support both GameCube and Wii .iso files compressed with .ciso. Right now, I don't think anyone has made one.

EDIT: there would, however, still be the issue that Wii games have dummy data instead of no data in their empty blocks, due to the fact that the disk is encrypted. Therefore CISO wouldn't see that it could discard the empty blocks, so you'd end up with minimal compression. Therefore, .gcz is definitely the best option. You may still want to pay someone to make a .gcz loader for the Wii, though.
Thanks.

I do not have a Wii.

Are the other formats slow? WBFS seems to do better compression and if it works on Wii, it may be fast.
I would avoid GCZ at all cost if you were also USB loader GX user. ISO for GCN and WBFS for Wii games should be good.

EDIT: Sorry Haven't refreshed page for a while... I don't think there are any performance penalties by using other format.
(04-21-2013, 11:24 AM)Goku Wrote: [ -> ]WBFS seems to do better compression

Your file will have (almost) the same size with GCZ format.

Btw if you're tempted to try some old builds you'll discover that .wbfs files aren't supported Big Grin
(04-21-2013, 08:52 PM)LordVador Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-21-2013, 11:24 AM)Goku Wrote: [ -> ]WBFS seems to do better compression

Your file will have (almost) the same size with GCZ format.

Btw if you're tempted to try some old builds you'll discover that .wbfs files aren't supported Big Grin

Which is why the .wbfs to .iso converter was created (not really :p)
Thanks.
I will convert my games to .GCZ.

jani

(04-21-2013, 03:09 AM)LordVador Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-21-2013, 03:03 AM)Goku Wrote: [ -> ]I want to save storage space and avoid speed penalty on Dolphin.

Use GCZ format.

Are you saying GCZs don't come with a speed penalty compared to ISOs even if they're compressed, as it's usually a trade-off between the two? Or does the speed even matter? I have an oldish CPU and I'm wondering should I use GCZ or ISO when I'd like to have a playable experience. An ISO worked fine, but I only tried the minimal settings.
Pages: 1 2