Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: General question about O'clocking (RAM)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Hello,

To get games running at full speed I have to overclock my CPU ..
My i7 930 runs at 2.8Ghz wither oc ..

But my question is about the RAM .. I have 3x4GB Ram (1333 Mhz)
Does the Ram has to run at 1333Mhz to work properly or is 900Mhz ok?
When I set the BCLK frequency to 166 I get 3.65 Ghz for my CPU and
1331Mhz for the Ram .. I could also unterclock it then to get like 900Mhz, because
if I would raise up the BCLK I would overclock my Ram ..
http://Does the Ram has to run at 1333Mh...900Mhz ok?
900MHz is ok . I ussually drop down Ram clock speed in order to overclock CPU higher (2.6 -> 3.6 -> 3.9GHz) and this does make your OC more stable
In my case , 1333MHz -> 1066MHz
I wouldn't bother if I were you. Especially with dolphin which is more memory bandwidth hungry than most apps. But why are you underclocking it in the first place? I'm also guessing that you can't change the memory multiplier for some reason?
(04-20-2013, 04:15 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]I wouldn't bother if I were you. Especially with dolphin which is more memory bandwidth hungry than most apps. But why are you underclocking it in the first place? I'm also guessing that you can't change the memory multiplier for some reason?
I can chose many steps for the Ram, but the lowest with BCLK at 166 is around 800Mhz ..
The second one is 1331Mhz .. If I want to overclock my CPU more I have to use the lowest level for the Ram .. But I don't dare it to go over 4 Ghz so the Ram would be at maybe 900 to 1000Mhz - I hope Dolphin is still running fine then ..
Just leave it at 1333 and OC as high as you can with those settings. You're not going to get enough of an increase from underclocking the ram for it to be worth it.
What happens if it is running at 900Mhz?
It will reduce performance in applications that demand lots of memory bandwidth.
Quote:You're not going to get enough of an increase from underclocking the ram for it to be worth it.
Bluescreen of death , overclocking failure if i leave it at 1333MHz though
Anyway , the i7 930 supports 1066MHz at best . So 900MHz isn't bad
If he had i7 2600k the he should leave it as default - 1333MHz
An i7 930 should work fine with DDR3 1333MHz and DDR3 1600 MHz ram when OCed as long as you have a decent desktop motherboard. And I assure you it will have an effect on dolphins performance.
Not for me though
I tried 1333MHz , i saw no speed up or anything like that over 800MHz (CPU clock speed was downclocked to 3.4GHz to use 1333)
Pages: 1 2 3 4