Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Texture Packs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I want to make a texture replacement for an older (2002 old) GameCube game. I was just wondering how it is and what I would need to do. I've seen it done with a few other games around the forum.

My goal: make a higher resolution for a GameCube game.

Is it possible and if so how do I do it?
Enable 'Dump Textures' under graphics options. It's recommended that the texture cache isn't all the way to fast, as some textures won't have the same names for everyone otherwise. Play all the way through the game, and you should end up with all the game's textures saved in Dolphin/User/Dump/Textures/[the game's ID]/

For each of the textures you have dumped, load it up in Photoshop/Paint.NET/GIMP etc. and then make a new image 2x, 4x, 8x or even 16x the size. Draw out the new texture onto the new bigger image. This can take a lot of time to do really nicely.

You then need to save all of your new High Resolution textures with the same names as the ones they're going to replace, and put them in User/Load/Textures/[the game's ID]/
Thanks for the help. I've got a few more questions for you or anyone who will answer them :p...

1. There seems to be 3 or 4 different sizes of each texture (the max size being 640x480) so would I be making a 1920x1080 one and replacing the 640x480 one? or just detailing it? (again I am a newbie to this so if you need clarification on this please tell me!)
2. Are my [legally speaking] allowed to upload these once I'm done retexturing them? I figure if I make them different (just barely) that it should be ok, but I am no legal expert. I've seen others post texture packs with adf.ly links and all without a hitch.
1. No, don't just retexture everything at 1920x1080. Depending on the texture size, scale it up by a factor of 2, 4, 8, like OldMan said and draw/replace the texture with that size.

For example, most textures should be in a power of two size, like 8x8, 16x16, 32x32, etc. If that's the case, scale it up with a power of two to what size you need for your texture (don't just go with an insane resolution of 4096x4096 for every texture. It'll take more video memory, won't yield much better results and will not be compatible with older cards due to them not supporting that large size for textures).

It's important to note, what OldMan didn't properly state, is that you should decide on the Texture Cache before you start dumping and retexturing. Having it on Safe will produce different texture hashes as opposed to Fast. Most games generally work fine with Fast, so try to use that.
(04-18-2013, 06:42 PM)Garteal Wrote: [ -> ]1. No, don't just retexture everything at 1920x1080. Depending on the texture size, scale it up by a factor of 2, 4, 8, like OldMan said and draw/replace the texture with that size.

For example, most textures should be in a power of two size, like 8x8, 16x16, 32x32, etc. If that's the case, scale it up with a power of two to what size you need for your texture (don't just go with an insane resolution of 4096x4096 for every texture. It'll take more video memory, won't yield much better results and will not be compatible with older cards due to them not supporting that large size for textures).

It's important to note, what OldMan didn't properly state, is that you should decide on the Texture Cache before you start dumping and retexturing. Having it on Safe will produce different texture hashes as opposed to Fast. Most games generally work fine with Fast, so try to use that.
Thanks I appreciate the help Smile

Is it normal that Dolphin is running slower while dumping textures? I'm going to assume yes.
Yeah, you'll most likely also notice stuttering etc. It's completely normal.

Now which game are you going to retexture? Tongue
I'm going to be doing SpongeBob: Battle for Bikini Bottom I know it's a TV game (meaning it is based off a TV show), but unlike most of them this one is great. The link is too an old review of it. The game is from 2003 so the graphics are some what dated so I figure I will make them new once again! Smile
(04-18-2013, 07:26 PM)Scootaloo Wrote: [ -> ]I'm going to be doing SpongeBob: Battle for Bikini Bottom I know it's a TV game (meaning it is based off a TV show), but unlike most of them this one is great

Haha good (and original) idea Tongue . People usually choose "block-busters" such as Zelda/Mario/RE games. I'll have a look to this with pleasure when it's done.

And for sceptical guys yeah SpongeBob games aren't that bad Tongue
(04-18-2013, 06:42 PM)Garteal Wrote: [ -> ]OldMan
Wut?
(04-19-2013, 03:16 AM)AnyOldName3 Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-18-2013, 06:42 PM)Garteal Wrote: [ -> ]OldMan
Wut?
I was laughing so hard when I read that XD

@Scootaloo
I remember playing that game long ago. It's good to know that someone might make a texture pack for it. Tongue