Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Newbie major lag problems
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Yardley

Hey guys, I'm having major lag problems. Paper Mario played ok, so did Super Smash Bros but Resident Evil and Metroid Prime (especially this one) are lag central. See video below. The intro video is very choppy and once the game starts the FPS are very low. Below are my specs, I tried the default settings and the ones in the performance guide of the Dolphin wiki with no luck.

CPU: AMD FX-6100 3.3GHz
GPU: PNY GTX 460 XLR8
RAM: 4GB

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
CPU bottleneck . Overclocking is required

Yardley

(04-17-2013, 11:19 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]CPU bottleneck . Overclocking is required
Really? Does Dolphin require more CPU power than a recent PC game? I can run Street Fighter X Tekken with settings maxed out no issues.
(04-17-2013, 11:41 AM)Yardley Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-17-2013, 11:19 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]CPU bottleneck . Overclocking is required

Really? Does Dolphin require more CPU power than a recent PC game?

Yes
Some games even not run full speed on an i5 3570k @ 4.5GHz .
Dolphin is a dual core application , Dolphin favors single threaded performance . Bulldozer multi threaded performance is very good for the price but single threaded performance is terrible and worse than previous gen . That's why most people called those chips as "faildozer"
Overall , FX 6100 @ 3.3 is slower than Phenom II x4 3.3GHz in Dolphin
Try using OpenGL with "Hacked Buffer Upload" checked in Graphics > Hacks. It may end up being faster than the DX9 plugin, especially on Nvidia hardware (even if you're CPU-bottlenecked).
Btw , set Framelimit to 60FPS and tick "Limit by FPS" , this should help a little
Edit : make sure you have audio throttle and Vsync disabled
Use the stable version Dolphin 3.5
(04-17-2013, 11:41 AM)Yardley Wrote: [ -> ]Does Dolphin require more CPU power than a recent PC game?

It does.
Moreover some games are more demanding than others. Paper Mario and SSBM are "light" games. Your CPU will be able to get them to work correctly. For RE games and Metroid Prime series your CPU will be a bit slow. Overclocking may help of course.
Btw Metroid Prime intro (like other games) is slow but you'll get a better speed once in-game

Yardley

thanks for the tips everyone, will give them a try.