Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: High level question on the new AX-HLE
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Even though my system can handle LLE on almost all titles I play with full speed, I cannot shake the static. I do not have the static with HLE, so my question is this:

Using the new HLE, do the audio issues still exist in games like Twilight Princess, Wind Waker, Baten Kaitos, etc where LLE is required to prevent crashing...? Any information you can provide would be helpful.

I am interested in stability and play-ability versus performance.

Thanks for your time!
(04-17-2013, 03:59 AM)haddockd Wrote: [ -> ]my question is this:

Using the new HLE, do the audio issues still exist in games like Twilight Princess, Wind Waker, (I am not listing the other games for a reason)

No, as the AX-HLE is not used by these games
You have static in LLE? Why? I've never heard of that before. *shrug* Are you using the homemade DSP LLE roms that come with Dolphin? Or ones properly dumped from a Wii?

Anyway, New-AX-HLE is only for games that use the AX Ucode. Games that use the Zelda ucode won't be affected. So, obviously, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess aren't affected (though curiously Skyward Sword is, it uses AX). Mario games, Pikmin, and a few other Nintendo created titles also use the Zelda ucode. But for every other game, AX is used predominantly. And those games that do get a huge boost. It is pretty much just as good as DSP LLE in the vast majority of games. Hundreds of games that required LLE now don't need it anymore, and run great with HLE at half the CPU cost. The only caveat is that you have to run the game at fullspeed, since new-AX-HLE is synced to the CPU thread. But that's not a problem for you.

Edit: Ninja'd again >_<
No idea. skid said it is a configuration setting or the like (which I respectfully disagree because a handful of others have my same issue regardless of the backend or operating system) but that is neither here nor there.

So it appears all of the games work with AX except the ones I play. Sign, such is life.

skid, if you are reading this, I tried it on a completely different PC and still get the crackling. I know it doesn't matter because you mentioned it isn't fixable due to the lack or repro-ability, but it makes me feel better to put it out there. Smile
Eventually the zelda ucode will be redone as well :3
Quote:No idea. skid said it is a configuration setting or the like

Do you get a prompt before running a game talking about using a hand-made DSP rom?
Very annoying to troubleshoot this issue because it takes so long to reproduce each time Sad

Haddockd, have you tested with both HPET enabled/disabled? I was thinking it could potentially be going out of whack after a while and different mobo implementations acting differently - saying that nothing else produces this on my system. Though my DPC is significantly lower with it off, was going to do some more testing when I have enough time.
(04-17-2013, 04:54 AM)MaJoR Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:No idea. skid said it is a configuration setting or the like

Do you get a prompt before running a game talking about using a hand-made DSP rom?
Home made? No. I dumped my files off my Wii (a few times to be sure they weren't corrupted).

(04-17-2013, 05:20 AM)lor Wrote: [ -> ]Very annoying to troubleshoot this issue because it takes so long to reproduce each time Sad

Haddockd, have you tested with both HPET enabled/disabled? I was thinking it could potentially be going out of whack after a while and different mobo implementations acting differently - saying that nothing else produces this on my system. Though my DPC is significantly lower with it off, was going to do some more testing when I have enough time.
I NEVER even knew this could cause such an issue. I will test when I have time. Thanks for the suggestion!
Just an update for lor, disabling HPET made no difference for me but I thank you for the recommendation. Smile
(04-17-2013, 08:51 AM)haddockd Wrote: [ -> ]Just an update for lor, disabling HPET made no difference for me but I thank you for the recommendation. Smile

ah worth a try. Guess it won't work for me either then being the same issue but will check anyway.
Pages: 1 2