Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Is my laptop good enough to run skyward sword?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, everyone this is my first post so i hope im doing this right.

I know that i will soon be receiving an alienware m14x gaming laptop( yeah yeah i know, please don't rag on me about it, i didn't get to choose and besides it's a gift) and i would like to know if it was able to run skyward sword, please mention how well it will run as well if possible, ie fps and stuff like that

as for the specs i'm fairly sure its just the default stuff so this
  • 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM (6MB Cache, up to 3.4GHz w/ Turbo Boost 2.0)
  • Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit
  • 14.0" High Def (720p/1366x768) with WLED backlight
  • 8GB2 Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz
  • 500GB 7,200 RPM SATA + 32GB mSATA Caching SSD
  • Slot Load Dual Layer DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW)
  • 2 GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 650M with Optimus™
  • 1 Year Alienware Basic Support
  • 6.45 lbs

i'd appreciate any answers, thanks Smile

also i'll be using a ps3 controller with the motionjoy emulator for skyward sword but i hear the six axis motion control needs to be configured to act like a wii motionplus controller, does anyone know where i would get said configurations?
3.4GHz is single core turbo mode . It should run at 3.2GHz with Dolphin
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-...051.0.html
Define "good enough"
Q : Will Zelda SS run full speed with this laptop
A : No ,it's not gonna happen . Expect nothing less than an Ivy Bridge i5/i7 @ 3.8GHz
Q : Will Zelda SS run at playable/acceptable speed
A : Well , it depends on your Dolphin settings and Dolphin version . It should run ok with Vbeam speed hack (Right-click the game - Properties - Tick "Vbeam emulation")
Some laptops have problem with turbo boost , you may have to force turbo boost manually and make sure Dolphin use Nvidia GPU , not the crappy Intel HD 4000 (Zelda SS is GPU intensive game)
http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-nvi...lem--29265
(04-15-2013, 02:34 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Define "good enough"
oh sorry i was so vague, im fine as long as its able to go at least 30 fps
Quote:at least 30 fps
Zelda SS is a 30FPS game . You can't go any further unless you disable framelimit and run the game at double speed (which is too fast to play)
ah i see, do you think i might be able to get close to 30 fps if i tweak the dolphin settings?
Games are designed is this way
Pal version : 25FPS or 50FPS
NTSC version : 30FPS or 60FPS
Quote:do you think i might be able to get close to 30 fps if i tweak the dolphin settings?
It's really hard to tell
With old dolphin version such as Dolphin r7719 , i can get 27-30FPS with 2x Internal Res(1280x1056), no AA ,16xAF ; sometime the framerate drops to 22FPS (manually set framelimit = 30FPS - PAL version)
With recent Dolphin version , game is unplayble due to low FPS (last time i check , it was 17FPS or something . Honestly , i couldn't remember the exact FPS)
ah i see i totally didn't know that, guess im going with the pal version then
well i suppose i'll download different versions of dolphin to see which works best
thanks for the help, i appreciate it