Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Running Dolphin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there,

So just found out about Dolphin and been trying to run it on my laptop which is brand new and is able to play most modern games to a relatively good degree (I'm aware that this may be a cardinal sin).

That being said I'm having problems running a lot of games on Dolphin, Mario Sunshine runs at around 20-30 frames with very occasional slow down but when it comes to playing Sonic Adventure Battle or Wind Waker the games run at an incredibly slow pace, the frames run at about 15 on Zelda, which while not particularly good the game is virtually unplayable due to massive slow down.

Specs are as follows:

Windows 8 64-bit
AMD A6-4400M 2.7 Ghz
AMD Radeon HD 7520g
6GB RAM
1366x768 resolution

Processor is a dual-core and as i say it is a new system with relatively decent gaming capabilities (World of Warcraft runs perfectly and been able to play Darksiders 2 with occasional slow down.

Any help/advice would be appreciated, if any other specs are needed will happily post them. Attached my dxdiag as well.

Thanks in advance!
Quote:Processor is a dual-core
Technically , yes but it's not a true dual core CPU .
Quote:That being said I'm having problems running a lot of games on Dolphin, Mario Sunshine runs at around 20-30 frames with very occasional slow down but when it comes to playing Sonic Adventure Battle or Wind Waker the games run at an incredibly slow pace, the frames run at about 15 on Zelda, which while not particularly good the game is virtually unplayable due to massive slow down.
That's completely normal . You will get what you pay for ... If you check notebookcheck's benchmark list , its performance is beyond the word "terrible"
Besides , Trinity is slower than previous gen Llano clock for clock
http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-A-Serie...726.0.html
http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-the...-benchmark
Cool cheers for the reply, it was mainly the fact that mario ran perfectly fine and the others didn't seem to want to.

But yeh was aware that that may be the issue just wanted to see if there was anything i could do to make it run better on said games.

Though I doubt that is the case! Oh well shall have to play on my desktop
There are many mario games ...which one you're talking about ?
New Super Mario Bros is a light-weight game , it can run fine on a Core 2 duo @ 2.2GHz
Mario Galaxy is very demanding , you will need i5 3570k @ 4.2GHz (overclock) plus a powerful graphic card if you want to run the game full speed with LLE back end
Perhaps , you should read Dolphin System Requirement
(04-14-2013, 11:52 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]There are many mario games ...which one you're talking about ?
New Super Mario Bros is a light-weight game , it can run fine on a Core 2 duo @ 2.2GHz
Mario Galaxy is very demanding , you will need i5 3570k @ 4.2GHz (overclock) plus a powerful graphic card if you want to run the game full speed with LLE back end
Perhaps , you should read Dolphin System Requirement
Super Mario Sunshine, runs pretty much perfectly, only really looking at playing GC games really.
Quote:Super Mario Sunshine runs pretty much perfectly
Really ? You seem to say the opposite of what you just said before
Quote: Mario Sunshine runs at around 20-30 frames with very occasional slow down
I wouldn't call that as "perfect"
Quote:only really looking at playing GC games really
Just because it's a gamecube game , it does not mean it would be less demanding than Wii games , you know
There are many demanding GC games such as Metroid Prime series , Pokemon XD + LLE ...Those games won't run full speed with my laptop , i hope you will get the idea
Btw , Just a reminder
Quote:i say it is a new system with relatively decent gaming capabilities
To be honest , i'm sorry , that's not true
Not even my laptop is prefered as "decent gaming capabilities" . An Integrated GPU and a low end CPU (APU) ? Your statement is ridiculous
Could you run all PC games at fullspeed (60FPS) or at least close to full speed + high or ultra settings
That tittle should be belong to gaming laptop that cost over 1000$
Nothing less than a GeForce GTX 460M / AMD 6870M
I wasn't stating anything as cold hard fact, I also never said that 20-30 frames was perfect, on top of this you've misquoted me completely, I was just saying that the game ran "pretty much" perfect in spite of some slow down.

Again i never said it was a gaming laptop, but had gaming capabilities opposed to integrated graphics which is severely limiting. Also "relative" and "decent" were the key words, it was as sweeping statement and I apologise if it was misleading.

You're right, I probably couldn't (read as definitely couldn't) run at 60 frames but that doesn't mean it has no gaming capabilities. Not sure where this animosity has come from or whether i am just misinterpreting what you're saying.

But anyway thanks very much for the help.
You can build i5 3570k (with overclocking ability) + GTX 650/AMD 7750 desktop system for only 700-800$ . But if you want a laptop that has the same performance as i5 3570k (via Dolphin), you will have to spend over 3000$ for a gaming/workstation laptop that has an Extreme Edition i7 CPU
My laptop cost 700$ but i can build a 200-370$ desktop that has the same performance ...
(04-15-2013, 01:42 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]You can build i5 3570k (with overclocking ability) + GTX 650/AMD 7750 desktop system for only 700-800$ . But if you want a laptop that has the same performance as i5 3570k (via Dolphin), you will have to spend over 3000$ for a gaming/workstation laptop that has an Extreme Edition i7 CPU
My laptop cost 700$ but i can build a 200-370$ desktop that has the same performance ...
Already have a quad core desktop that should run it fine but thanks. Was really just the issue that certain games were running okay and others weren't, but again cheers for the advice.