Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: What am I doing wrong? (Speed Issue)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Yeah, those didn't help much. Oh Well, I'll just have to accept the fact that my laptop isn't fast enough. Thanks for trying guys.
(07-22-2009, 12:57 PM)adrian2055 Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, those didn't help much. Oh Well, I'll just have to accept the fact that my laptop isn't fast enough. Thanks for trying guys.

*taken aback*

You're the first person I've heard on the forums say "Thanks" even though your problem was not solved.

Thanks to you for that. Smile
(07-21-2009, 04:04 PM)Klotzek Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-21-2009, 02:01 PM)Joblessgreed Wrote: [ -> ]If I were you I'd highly recommend looking in there to see if you can adjust anything.

You aren't serious right? Recommending someone to overclock his notebook is insane. He'll mostlikely overheat his system as notebooks are bareley cooled and all hardware components lay very tight together.

Uh, yes. I was serious. And setting a laptop into higher settings (commonly named Turbo mode in the bios) is not insane by any means.

In fact many gaming laptops have a turbo function built right onto the chassis which enables you to overclock it with the push of a button.

Its not like I was encouraging him to increases voltages which I highly doubt his laptop supports anyways.

The amount of extra heat generated by his laptop when setting it into this "turbo like" mode would be negligible.

I have to add that the amount of time this would take to check out would be less than 3 minutes and if the OP is still reading this thread I highly recommend looking into it.
(07-22-2009, 01:28 PM)Joblessgreed Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-21-2009, 04:04 PM)Klotzek Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-21-2009, 02:01 PM)Joblessgreed Wrote: [ -> ]If I were you I'd highly recommend looking in there to see if you can adjust anything.

You aren't serious right? Recommending someone to overclock his notebook is insane. He'll mostlikely overheat his system as notebooks are bareley cooled and all hardware components lay very tight together.

Uh, yes. I was serious. And setting a laptop into higher settings (commonly named Turbo mode in the bios) is not insane by any means.

In fact many gaming laptops have a turbo function built right onto the chassis which enables you to overclock it with the push of a button.

Its not like I was encouraging him to increases voltages which I highly doubt his laptop supports anyways.

The amount of extra heat generated by his laptop when setting it into this "turbo like" mode would be negligible.

I have to add that the amount of time this would take to check out would be less than 3 minutes and if the OP is still reading this thread I highly recommend looking into it.

I'm still reading. I checked. The turbo function is not there.
(07-22-2009, 01:00 PM)Core2uu Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-22-2009, 12:57 PM)adrian2055 Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, those didn't help much. Oh Well, I'll just have to accept the fact that my laptop isn't fast enough. Thanks for trying guys.

*taken aback*

You're the first person I've heard on the forums say "Thanks" even though your problem was not solved.

Thanks to you for that. Smile

You're WelcomeSmile. You guys took the time to reply. Your time is worth that. You didn't have to say anything. A
t least now I know that I can't run it so I can stop wasting time trying to change settings to make it work. You cleared that up for me. That deserves a thank you.
Well, if a laptop sported a turbo function I'm guessing it would already be a fairly powerful gaming laptop. Your laptop doesn't seem as such.

And thanks for acknowledging my thanks. Big Grin
(07-22-2009, 04:07 PM)Core2uu Wrote: [ -> ]Well, if a laptop sported a turbo function I'm guessing it would already be a fairly powerful gaming laptop. Your laptop doesn't seem as such.

And thanks for acknowledging my thanks. Big Grin

You're WelcomeBig Grin
there are no turbo modes. If there are, it is for i7 and raises multiplier by 1 in multithreaded apps and 2 in single threaded apps assuming that all prerequisites are met.
(07-24-2009, 12:39 PM)boogerlad Wrote: [ -> ]there are no turbo modes. If there are, it is for i7 and raises multiplier by 1 in multithreaded apps and 2 in single threaded apps assuming that all prerequisites are met.

I think JoblessGreed was talking about something else. Like an easy switchable factory OC which only requires the setting of one option, resulting in a very small OC or something.
Precisely what I was talking about.

As he has not found anything, there doesnt seem like there is much that can be done.

The laptop is just not powerful enough. Sorry bud
It sounds like it could be a bottleneck somewhere outside the emulator itself, i would try a few things...

1. Disable any Anti Virus, Trojan, Adware, Spyware or another application running in the background consuming your PC resources, any other program "scanning" your PC in the background, disable it

2. Try doing some maintenance to your system

2.1. Defragment your hard drive(s) after you...
2.2. ...Run the Clean Manager...
2.3. ...Update yor Graphic Drivers, i see you are using a laptop, check out this site www.laptopvideo2go.com...
2.4. ...Update DirectX.
2.5. For better overall Windows and Games perfomance check out this site www.tweakguides.com and download the Windows XP/Vista 7 PDF

Do not listen to the naive people claiming that a 2.0Ghz CPU won't be up to the task, while it should be clear that running Dolphin with a powerful CPU will give you the most raw FPS boost, you should be doing "fine" with some games using a 2.0Ghz

Windows 7 x64 7264
Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.0Ghz
4GB DDR2 RAM
nVidia GeForce 8600M GT

Thanks to the hard work of all the people working on Dolphin, i get the following FPS

Super Smash Bros Brawl / 50 FPS, with a few exceptions.
Mario Kart Double Dash / An average of 4x FPS except when playing at 100cc or 150cc and 50 in time trials.
Super Smash Bros Melee / An average of 4x FPS depending on scenario and NPCs on the screen
Metroid Prime / Still trying to get better FPS around 30-40 indoors, (The starting area is awful though 10 FPS)
The Legend of Zelda TP / Working on the FPS too, getting around 17-32

I need to check settings with Zelda yet, however i have to mention this again, thanks to the beatiful work done by all the people involved around Dolphin, you can get playable frame rates on some games..

Also try to delete your Dolphin folder, and extracting it again, to have a clean config.
Pages: 1 2 3