Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Just a little question about the User-folder
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I just wanted to ask, when I downloaded a new revision and want to test games, can I just copy the User folder from the previous revision to into the main folder of the new revision?
I'm getting tired by changing the settings every second day ..
Or will this have a bad effect?

Thanks for answers! Smile
(04-06-2013, 09:50 PM)slax65 Wrote: [ -> ]can I just copy the User folder from the previous revision to into the main folder of the new revision?

You can
Note that if you copy paste the whole user folder and if your memory card and wii saves are in the dolphin folder, it may point to the old directory for those. You can just chance the directories to fix that.
The best is copying only the folders "Config", "GC" and "Wii" (and "Load" if you use HD texture packs)... The other folders contain files that maybe incompatible between revisions, and may cause crashes that wouldn't occur in a fresh copy...
(04-07-2013, 02:28 AM)Jhonn Wrote: [ -> ]The best is copying only the folders "Config", "GC" and "Wii" (and "Load" if you use HD texture packs)... The other folders contain files that maybe incompatible between revisions, and may cause crashes that wouldn't occur in a fresh copy...

wait are you saying that when i download a new build then i extract it to my wii folder yea wii folder it wont be as affective as a fresh copy and not only that but ''The other folders contain files that maybe incompatible between revisions'' please explain
Note that there's a small chance that things will break by just randomly copying the user dir across different builds.

(note to others: I shouldn't need to add this :p it just gives a wrong impression when every thread is answered with "yo, it'll work fine" because it's simply not always true)
Dunno about copying and pasting folders on Windows, but on Linux you can have multiple compiled binaries, but they'll all look at the .dolphin-emu folder in your home directory for settings and such. Technically, 3.5 is installed, but I have a ton of revisions compiled from 3.0 to the latest. All I have to do is run the binary and it'll (almost always) give me the same settings and in-game saves. For the most part, it works for me, but...

Like neobrain said, there are caveats. Imported Wii saves don't show up on older builds, and little things the Framelimit and IR get borked when switching revisions, so they need to be reset. GC controller ports seem to get disabled when switching to and from older and more recent revisions as well, so I have to manually turn them on again. I've also managed to mess up the game list in Dolphin a couple of times. And of course, my .ini files are outdated, but I edit those myself anyway.
Just copy your /User/GC and /User/Wii folders to somewhere else on your HDD. Then go into dolphins config. Go to the gamecube tab and set the Slot A/B memory card directories to the new file directory (the file will be inside where ever you moved the /User/GC directory to). Go to the paths tab and set the Wii Nand Root directory to where ever you put the User/Wii/ folder. Now all you have to do when you switch to new dolphin revisions is copy the /User/Config folder over. Instead of copying /Config, /GC, and /Wii each time. The new /GC and /Wii directory locations will be stored in the config files as soon as you close the dolphin settings window.
oh wow so simple thanks