Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: New to dolphin, need some beginner's help. Xenoblade only running at 10-12 fps.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

TheEmortal

Hello, sorry if this is an inappropriate place for a noob help topic.

I've been playing XC on my wii for a while, but would love to get it running on PC. Would be much much more convenient for me.

Anyway, I have looked into the forums about what settings dolphin should use (i.e. enable dual core, framelimit auto, lowest graphical settings, etc.) But it is consistantly running around 10 fps, with HEAVY audio skipping. Doesn't matter if I am running at 640x480 or my pc's full 1600x900 with max graphical settings, still hovers around 10 fps either way.

I've downloaded the HLE hack/patch file, but I have no idea what to do with that either. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
You need a much faster processor to be able to run Xenoblade comfortably. Graphics settings don't make any difference here because your GPU's fine for the game with those settings (even helps that it's running so slow - it doesn't have to render as many frames), but your processor just can't handle the game.

I'll be honest, Dolphin's system requirements seem as ridiculous to me as they do to you, but they're hard requirements. Can't do much about them except get a faster computer.
Are you using Intel i7 Q 720 @ 1.60ghz as in your profile ?
I am sorry, but that cpu is too slow for xenoblade.
Laptops are usually slower, you should buy a desktop with new i5 ( you have old nehelem cpu ) and it will run fine
(04-06-2013, 06:07 AM)rpglord Wrote: [ -> ]Are you using Intel i7 Q 720 @ 1.60ghz as in your profile ?
I am sorry, but that cpu is too slow for xenoblade.

For Xenoblade and for most games

TheEmortal

I didn't suspect my hardware since I use this laptop (An ASUS g73) as my primary gaming device, and have no trouble running current gen games (Skyrim, Crysis 2, etc.) at 30+ fps.

So Dolphin just has requirements that are above and beyond what they would normally be if XC was actually built for PC?
That's right. Dolphin has to translate the code from a completely different architecture to something our x86 computers can understand. So there is a lot of overhead that wouldn't be there if xenoblade was a native pc game.
(04-06-2013, 06:34 AM)TheEmortal Wrote: [ -> ]I didn't suspect my hardware since I use this laptop (An ASUS g73) as my primary gaming device, and have no trouble running current gen games (Skyrim, Crysis 2, etc.) at 30+ fps.

So Dolphin just has requirements that are above and beyond what they would normally be if XC was actually built for PC?

You have no problem running pc games because that laptop has pretty good gpu ( graphic card )
Most pc games are very gpu limited, and thats why you are getting good results.
However, most emulators ( not just dolphin ) are cpu limited, and that's where your laptop falls short.
And yes, if Xenoblade was actually built for PC, it would be probably not so much cpu limited as it is in Dolphin

TheEmortal

Alright, thanks for the info everyone. I suppose I will just return to playing it on my Wii.
Quote:Intel i7 Q 720 @ 1.60ghz
I suppose I will just return to playing it on my Wii.
Or just replace that CPU with i7 920XM (200$ on ebay) . It's an unlocked CPU , you can overclock it to 3.0GHz