Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: DSP LLE WHY WHY WHY?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Sad Sad Sad that my performance in twilight princess wii sucks with Dsp lle, dsp on thread make no difference, Why isn't DSP LLE compiled to run on AMD cpu's with no performance lost,
why cant dolphin be optimized for AMD Phenom II a bit better. Dosnt matter which revision or build i use, especially Dolphin 3.5-1154 which is suppose to be better for Dsp lle and Hle, referred to bye http://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?title=DSP_LLE
when using Hle i get 30fps on any revision but on 3.5-1154 i get around 20fps in hyrule field and other big places EVEN ON HLE
its seems like 3.5-1154 is using dsp lle even when using hle..

My computer hardware is:
CPU: AMD phenom II 960T @ 4.3ghz, NB clock 2400mhz
Ram: gskill 8gb 1600mhz

GPU:Radeon HD 7850 1ghz.. (cant even play twilght princess at 4x internal resoultion and 4xAA both so i just used 4x internal resoulation Twilght Princess is not optimized good for anti aliasing on all direct X backends why because my gpu isnt at 100% usage even with the demanding resoultion and AA, so i ask why is it slow if my gpu usage isn't maxed out at 100%

MOBO: MSI 990Fxa-gd65v2

Should i upgrade my CPU to the FX-6300 piledriver and expect to get better performance with dsp lle if i overclock it higher then my phenom would it make a difference?? Is anybody reading this? man my life sucks Sad
Lumbeeslayer Wrote:Why isn't DSP LLE compiled to run on AMD cpu's with no performance lost

Dolphin is compiled with visual studios which uses a pretty cpu agnostic c++->x86 compiler.

Lumbeeslayer Wrote:why cant dolphin be optimized for AMD Phenom II a bit better.

No. The hardware is inferior to modern cpus. There is nothing you can do to make software run on a phenom II as fast as it will on an ivy bridge cpu.

Lumbeeslayer Wrote:Should i upgrade my CPU to the FX-6300 piledriver and expect to get better performance

No. That would actually be slower than what you have now. Grab an i5 3570K and a Z77 motherboard instead.
(04-04-2013, 11:50 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]
Lumbeeslayer Wrote:Why isn't DSP LLE compiled to run on AMD cpu's with no performance lost

Dolphin is compiled with visual studios which uses a pretty cpu agnostic c++->x86 compiler.

Lumbeeslayer Wrote:why cant dolphin be optimized for AMD Phenom II a bit better.

No. The hardware is inferior to modern cpus. There is nothing you can do to make software run on a phenom II as fast as it will on an ivy bridge cpu.

Lumbeeslayer Wrote:Should i upgrade my CPU to the FX-6300 piledriver and expect to get better performance

No. That would actually be slower than what you have now. Grab an i5 3570K and a Z77 motherboard instead.

actually the 6300 is Piledriver which is actually better than Phenom IIs unlike Bulldozer... but the performance gains are so minimal that it would be stupid to upgrade to them.

as natural said it wouldnt be worth it so you should save up and save for a i5.
For the part where newer revisions bring slowdowns even on HLE and your graphics card doesn't seem to be fully-utilized, your GPU might just not be getting out of idle clockspeeds. Either force it in the drivers to get out of low-power mode when running Dolphin, or try various Dolphin settings to kick it hard enough out of idle (I've heard that increasing the texture cache accuracy all the way does the trick for some folks). (If you're curious about why it's suddenly doing this: just before 3.5-one-thousand-something, we merged in a huge branch that touched *lots* of graphics code - as a result, we're still tracking down issues it's caused.)

If your GPU still can't seem to handle such high settings, try different graphics backends. The OpenGL backend's caused moderate-to-major speedups for some folks (generally ones with good GPUs, I've noticed), but for an unlucky portion of the community it's been either slower, buggier, or even completely broken. In my case, I can't use current revs at all under OS X - some part of the graphics code makes OS X decide to drop Dolphin down to software rendering because it's prejudiced against my Intel HD 3000 or something (yes, it's a barely serviceable GPU, but it should theoretically work perfectly fine for OpenGL 3.2 stuff - probably a driver bug).

Also, Hyrule Field is slow on pretty much everything when you get further into the game.
(04-04-2013, 12:49 PM)pauldacheez Wrote: [ -> ]Is anti alising CPU intensive cause twilight princess is super slow with 4x internal resolution and 9xSSAA

EVEN with all that max settings dolphin isn't using all my 2GB Video ram it never gos over 900mb in memory usage and gpu load never gets 100% I thought a radeon 7850 can play dolphin maxed out?
(04-04-2013, 07:16 PM)Lumbeeslayer Wrote: [ -> ]Is anti alising CPU intensive cause twilight princess is super slow with 4x internal resolution and 9xSSAA

EVEN with all that max settings dolphin isn't using all my 2GB Video ram it never gos over 900mb in memory usage and gpu load never gets 100% I thought a radeon 7850 can play dolphin maxed out?
I'm not sure if any cards can do 4x IR + 9xSSAA. Your 7850 is not enough for that. Edit: On the highest end cards you could probably do it but I bet you would still run into slowdown in some games at times.
SSAA is much more GPU-intensive than MSAA. 4x IR + 9x SSAA is basically identical to using 6x IR (I did the math right this time, right, NaturalViolence? :P) in terms of function, performance, and final picture quality. MSAA looks the same in 90% of cases (transparent objects being a noticeable exception), but is much less taxing. MSAA's only available in the DX11 and OpenGL backends, IIRC.
(04-05-2013, 08:53 AM)pauldacheez Wrote: [ -> ]SSAA is much more GPU-intensive than MSAA. 4x IR + 9x SSAA is basically identical to using 6x IR (I did the math right this time, right, NaturalViolence? Tongue)
No it's 4x3=12
Sorry paul. ED2 is right. Also image quality will be different now that the shader has been fixed. And I wouldn't say MSAA looks the same since MSAA doesn't improve texture quality. SSAA also fixes shader (mostly specular) aliasing which some games have (very few thankfully).