Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: JITIL question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What exactly is it? I used it and it actually slowed my machine down a small amount (some very small lags here and there), but it seemed to rid me of the dreaded crackling I was experiencing (I need to do more testing before that is my official answer Wink )

Does anyone know why JITIL would be able to keep my PC from crackling (audio) but JIT would not? Just trying to wrap my head around how it works. Thanks in advance!
It's a different cpu emulator. It translates PPC code into an intermediate language which is then translated into x86 before caching/execution. Whereas JIT translates directly from PPC to x86 before caching/translating. It is sometimes faster on 32 bit builds but almost always slower on 64 bit builds. It is also more likely to have bugs due to not being tested as thoroughly but realistically you probably won't encounter any bugs with either of them.
I am using the 64-but builds which explains the slow downs. Any ideas as to why a slow down would cause crackling to not occur?
No idea. Dolphin has lots of weird audio behavior that nobody (even the devs) can explain. We still don't have an explanation for why the vbeam hack works sometimes.
haddockd Wrote:Any ideas as to why a slow down would cause crackling to not occur?

Perhaps some component of Dolphin was running too fast to begin with? It's just a guess though.

NaturalViolence Wrote:We still don't have an explanation for why the vbeam hack works sometimes.

IIRC, skid clearly indicated that most of his work on accurate vbeam emulation is based on magic.
Follow-up question:

Are there any games where using JITIL is NOT recommended?

I ask because if JITIL removes my crackling...then I am totally fine using it as long as it doesn't have any compatibility issues on the games that I play. I couldn't find any info on JITIL on the wiki (on a per game basis at least)
In StripTheSoul's thread ( http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-gam...oot-at-all ) there's a section for games that work only with JIT. Only two games are listed (Dead Rising and Silent Hill Shattered Memories) but there are probably other games that have issues with JITIL.

Btw I tested Dead Rising with JITIL and it doesn't work indeed. But Silent Hill seems to work fine
haddockd Wrote:Are there any games where using JITIL is NOT recommended?

Yes. All of them. It's still considered an experimental feature.
I know that Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes does not work in JITIL but apart from that and Dead Rising, JITIL works fine.
Just a quick Update,

JITIL does seem to work just fine for Baten Kaitos and Mario Golf if anyone cares.

It doesnt rid me of that cursed crackling...*whip crack*...got to get back to work Smile
Pages: 1 2