Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: question about internal resolution and anti-aliasing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I have a 1080p monitor, does increasing the native resolution from 3x to 4x have an anti-aliasing effect? Or would the effect be minimal on my monitor? Thanks

I have a pretty good pc but I can only run Xenoblade at

4x IR , 4x SSAA, 16 AF

or

3x IR, 9x SSAA, 16 AF

Higher resolution upscale seems to make the image more clearer. On the other hand, higher SSAA makes the image less jaggy, so I want some opinions which option would be the best.

Thanks
Yes, increasing resolution does have anti-aliasing effect, but increasing resolution from 3x to 4x will not have same effect as increasing AA from 4x SSAA to 9x SSAA - former will have less of anti-aliasing effect.

Best option would be the one you like the most.
I think AA is broken in Dolphin. I noticed no difference in quality with it on or off. Even on my rig its a major FPS killer. Setting it to 2x does nothing but going from 2x-4x AA lowers my fps down by 15. Not to mention it doesn't do anything to boot. I wonder why its in the emulator to begin with. I notice with 16x AA to none makes no difference. The only thing it does is give you insanely low unplayable FPS speeds. Its useless IMO.
According to your profile, you're using 3.0-735, which is over 1000 revisions behind the current development build. Try something newer -> http://dolphin-emu.org/download/
The latest one is no good for me either. I can't use OpenGL with it. I didn't update my version number... Anyways I been using 3.5 367.7.