Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: My computer should run Dolphin near full speed, but it isn't?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
OS: Windows 7 x64 CPU: Intel core-i5 2300 @2.80ghz GPU: ATI 5770 HD 1GB RAM: 6GB DDR3

I finished Wario World and Chibi Robo and bought ran near at or near 100% all the time with little hiccups. Why does Battalion wars and Virtua Quest not run at 100% and lag all the time. The wiki said both games ran fine so I don't understand why they won't work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
If your GPU isn't bottlenecking your performance (you should be able to do up to 4x IR in most games without AA) then it's most likely your CPU that's bottlenecking your system. Some games are more demanding than others; not every game is the same. If your CPU can't handle those games, you're going to notice it when playing Dolphin. I don't know personally, but I imagine Battalion Wars and Virtua Quest do run fine in Dolphin if one's hardware is adequate enough. It's quite possible that your CPU simply isn't fast enough for those games.
(03-31-2013, 06:47 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]If your GPU isn't bottlenecking your performance (you should be able to do up to 4x IR in most games without AA) then it's most likely your CPU that's bottlenecking your system. Some games are more demanding than others; not every game is the same. If your CPU can't handle those games, you're going to notice it when playing Dolphin. I don't know personally, but I imagine Battalion Wars and Virtua Quest do run fine in Dolphin if one's hardware is adequate enough. It's quite possible that your CPU simply isn't fast enough for those games.
But on the cpu hierarchy list, the i5 was very high up. I mean I know what you mean that some games would take more power, but battalion wars from the beginning runs at half speed. Thats for like weak rigs, and I think mine is pretty strong.
Read the subtext for the 1st category (which your cpu belongs in):
NaturalViolence Wrote:When overclocked these cpus can run nearly any game at fullspeed even with LLE audio. Without overclocking most games will still run well with LLE audio.

Nowhere do I claim that every game will run at fullspeed with any settings. Especially if they aren't overclcoked.
(03-31-2013, 07:02 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]Read the subtext for the 1st category (which your cpu belongs in):
NaturalViolence Wrote:When overclocked these cpus can run nearly any game at fullspeed even with LLE audio. Without overclocking most games will still run well with LLE audio.

Nowhere do I claim that every game will run at fullspeed with any settings. Especially if they aren't overclcoked.
So if that's the truth, than should I overclock to gain an advantage? I saw the video under the wiki where they tested it (with really old specs) and I don't get how it runs incredibly smooth. There's gotta be something wrong that I'm missing.
Can you show me your sources? They might have been using a really old build for all I know.
(03-31-2013, 07:34 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]Can you show me your sources? They might have been using a really old build for all I know.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghL8vutUnF0
That video is 4 years old.
(03-31-2013, 07:43 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]That video is 4 years old.
Yea 4 years old and running perfectly with old hardware. That seems like a problem to me.
The person in that video is also using a revision that is 4 years old. Dolphin has become a lot more demanding in that time. If that same hardware used in that video tried to play that same game with 3.5 or newer, it'd more likely than not get worse performance. The requirements to run a lot of games has gone up, though there are cases where it went down. If you want to get that kind of performance, you'll have to look at older builds, which may have bugs that have since been fixed in recent revisions.
Pages: 1 2