Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Pardon my noobness, but can my new Mac Mini run Dolpin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

felixen

Hi guys.

I recently bought the newest Mac Mini. These are the specs:

2.3GHz Mac mini
2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
4GB memory
1TB hard drive1
Intel HD Graphics 4000
OS X Mountain Lion

I don't know too much about this stuff, but do you guys think I can run the Zelda Skyward Sword game without too many problems?

Thanks in advance!
(03-30-2013, 03:11 AM)felixen Wrote: [ -> ]do you guys think I can run the Zelda Skyward Sword game without too many problems?

Depends on what you mean by "without too many problems" Big Grin .

However the game will be playable but don't expect full-speed

felixen

Thanks for the quick reply Wink So it would be rather laggy or what? Wish I hadn't sold my Wii, but it's just this one particular game I'm dying to play lol
You'll get low FPS, and the game will look like it's in slow-motion. Like Lord Vador said, you should still be able to run Dolphin, just not fast enough to maintain fullspeed. Depending on what speed you get, it may or may not ruin the whole experience for you.

felixen

Alright. Are there any demos that I can run in Dolphin to get an idea of how it'll look on my Mac? I mean, I can easily install the software right away, but it would be nice to have an idea of how the Zelda will run before I go out and invest in the game and all the controller parts I need Big Grin
Demos? There are some demos that were used (I guess) by Nintendo during the system's development, but you'd be hard-pressed to find them (much less get permission to use them). I don't think the GC homebrew scene ever got as large as the Wii's. The closest thing you could use to sort of "preview" Dolphin without dumping any of your games like Skyward Sword would be to see if any Wii homebrew runs on it. There's absolutely no guarantee that the homebrew will be anywhere near as demanding real Wii games, performance-wise (in fact, I'd bet real games are almost always substantially more demanding than most homebrew). But it might give you an idea of how to get familiar with Dolphin as a program.

You might look around for some YouTube videos, but that's not always the best way to get an idea of how specific hardware will run certain games.

felixen

Alrighty, those sound like some pretty good suggestions to get me started Smile I'll look around for some videos and see what I can find from the homebrew scene so I can try it out for myself.