Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Slow FPS on Pokemon XD (Mac)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(Quick note before starting this, i am running Mac OS X, So anything windows related or anything i should download, i most likley can't!) So when i load up the game on Dolphin, i get almost 55 - 60 FPS in the very start, where it says all of the credits and asks you to hit start and such. When i finally get into the game, it REALLY drops FPS, Down to 20s. I've look at a TON of tutorials to fix FPS lag but none of them work, this game is one of those where you have to have sound because it makes the game a lot better, And due to the low FPS, the audio is really weird, choppy and just annoying. Is there anything i CAN do to fix this? Also, another note, when i get inside of buildings where less stuff is loaded, it goes to 28 - 30 FPS. I just really want to play this game because it's one of the most amazing games i have played, and it would be really fun to record it for youtube. PLEEEEEEEEASE help. -Rex
I could have sworn there was a near identical thread to this one a few days ago. This is not a lightweight game and since there is no turbo boost for i3 you probably just don't have the cpu horsepower to run it. You may fair better with a windows or linux build.
(03-28-2013, 12:59 PM)Xalphenos Wrote: [ -> ]I could have sworn there was a near identical thread to this one a few days ago. This is not a lightweight game and since there is no turbo boost for i3 you probably just don't have the cpu horsepower to run it. You may fair better with a windows or linux build.
I can run it fine, it's just i don't like the audio problem, And wanted to know if there was any tips to fixing it. Worse comes to worse, i'll just buy the game for my wii and buy a gamecube controller for about 20 bucks.
What dsp are you using? If LLE try HLE.

The game doping to 20fps is causing the audio stutter. The way to fix it is to not have frame rate drops. As I said your cpu may be a bit too slow for this game. You could try dual booting and running the windows or ubuntu builds as I have read they generally perform a bit better than the mac version, I've never tested the mac version.

To offer more than just generic help we will need you to post your settings. It's possible you just have something screwed up or maybe graphics settings too high. Can't tell without knowing your settings. The only other thing that may work is enabling "acurate vbeam emulation" in the individual game properties. Right click the game in dolphin and select properties.

Running it on a wii is probably your best bet though.
As Xalphenos said your CPU is a bit weak for this game. Pokemon XD with new AX-HLE or with LLE is very demanding.

To avoid stutterings: use Dolphin 3.5 or preferably Dolphin 3.0 with HLE. However you'll get sound issues such as music cuts
(03-28-2013, 02:24 PM)Xalphenos Wrote: [ -> ]What dsp are you using? If LLE try HLE.

The game doping to 20fps is causing the audio stutter. The way to fix it is to not have frame rate drops. As I said your cpu may be a bit too slow for this game. You could try dual booting and running the windows or ubuntu builds as I have read they generally perform a bit better than the mac version, I've never tested the mac version.

To offer more than just generic help we will need you to post your settings. It's possible you just have something screwed up or maybe graphics settings too high. Can't tell without knowing your settings. The only other thing that may work is enabling "acurate vbeam emulation" in the individual game properties. Right click the game in dolphin and select properties.

Okay, So here's my settings.
-------------------

Config:
General: Dual Core, JIT Recompilier, Framelimit: 100
Audio: DSP HLE emulation (fast), DSP LLE on Thread, Audio Backend: CoreAudio
-------------------
Graphics

General: Backend: OpenGL
Fullscreen Resolution: 640x480
Aspect Ratio: Auto

Show FPS, Render to Main Window

Enhancments
Internal Resolution: 2.5x Native 1600x1320
Anti Aliasing: 2x
Anisotrophic Filtering: 2x
Post Processing Effect: off
Scaled EFB Copy, Disable Fog

Hacks
EFB Copies: Texture
Texture Cache: Fast
External Frame Buffer: Disable
OpenMP Texture Decoder

Everything on advanced is OFF.
-------------------------------
Properties:
Core: Everything on the - Symbol besides Accurate VBeam Emulation. And the Emulation State is Playable. Smile

(Though with Acurate VBeam it ups my FPS just a little bit, though it makes the audio go by SUPER fast.)
(03-29-2013, 06:15 AM)RexLego Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-28-2013, 02:24 PM)Xalphenos Wrote: [ -> ]What dsp are you using? If LLE try HLE.

Okay, So here's my settings.
-------------------

Config:
General: Dual Core, JIT Recompilier, Framelimit: 100
Audio: DSP HLE emulation (Works exponentially better then HLE for this game), DSP LLE on Thread, Audio Backend: CoreAudio
-------------------
Graphics

Aspect Ratio: Auto

Show FPS, Render to Main Window

Enhancments
Internal Resolution: 2.5x Native 1600x1320
Anti Aliasing: 2x
Anisotrophic Filtering: 2x
Scaled EFB Copy, Disable Fog

Hacks
Texture Cache: Fast
External Frame Buffer: Disable
OpenMP Texture Decoder

Everything on advanced is OFF.
-------------------------------
Properties:
Core: Everything on the - Symbol besides Accurate VBeam Emulation. And the Emulation State is Playable. Smile

(Though with Acurate VBeam it ups my FPS just a little bit, though it makes the audio go by SUPER fast.)
I have pokemon XD running pretty much 100% smooth. Here are what id recomend to you

Config:
General: Dual Core (we will be shutting this off in the game properties, so leaving it on here is fine) , JIT Recompilier, Framelimit: Auto or set to the limit of your game (60 for NTCS and 50 for PAL)
Audio: DSP LLE emulation (fast), DSP LLE on Thread, Audio Backend: Open AL (If available on Mac, otherwise leave what you are using)

Graphics:

Aspect Ratio: fit to window

Show FPS Checked if you wish , Render to Main Window if you wish

Enhancments:
Internal Resolution: 1x (using anything higher really screws up some shit, especially when using the pc/pokebox)
Anti Aliasing: Set as high as your card can handle
Anisotrophic Filtering: Set as high as your card can handle
Scaled EFB Copy checked

Hacks:
Texture Cache: Safest (this seems to help relieve graphical glitches with battle effects)
External Frame Buffer: Virtual (not sure how you are even playing with it disabled as it completely drops a lot of textures for me)
OpenMP Texture Decoder checked

Everything on advanced off

Game Properties:
Maker sure dual core is off, this will cause crashes randomly
Enable Block Merging checked
Accurate Vbeam emulation Checked (you audio will not be fast up as long as you set the frame limiter to auto or no higher then the games actual proper max fps (60 for NTSC, 50 for PAL)

With these settings if your CPU is powerful enough you should have no issues achieving 100% emulation speed.
Before going too drastic I would just set ir to 1x and aa to 0. The 5670 should be enough for 3x ir but you have two things working against you: you're on a Mac and recent builds have become a bit more demanding.
(03-29-2013, 08:27 AM)Xalphenos Wrote: [ -> ]Before going too drastic I would just set ir to 1x and aa to 0. The 5670 should be enough for 3x ir but you have two things working against you: you're on a Mac and recent builds have become a bit more demanding.
the larger IR isnt a matter of resources with this game, its a matter of it causing a lot of things to not line up, for example selecting a pokemon from the pokebox your cursor has to be 2 pokemon ot the left of the one you are selecting because it does not scale properly with a higher resolution. At least in my experience. IT ends up making things look like hell as well.
I'm not arguing with you jeffj, haven't played enough of the game to know, but right now we are just trying to get his frame rate up to avoid audio stuttering. What I suggested should remove his gpu being a bottle neck, if it in fact is, and let us know if his cpu is capable of running the game full speed.
Pages: 1 2