Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Question about Issues on Google Code
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I noticed there are a few audio crackling issues marked as fixed when the original poster never confirmed and many of us are still experiencing the issue. I was wondering if someone could indeed confirm that these issues were in fact fixed:

Also, issues 5447 and 5786 appear to be very similar, if not identical to the other fixed issues listed above. Is it possible these are all related?

Updated issues numbers to be links. Thanks NV Smile
Please link them next time so that we don't have to look them up.
I think skid said it wasn't fixed after all, but i'm not sure.
Assuming we are thinking of the same thing RachelB, Skid has a fix that appears to be game specific. It pertains to issue 6160
Issues 6067 and 5910 can be deemed fixed because the code that caused the issue was reverted.

You might be right about 5447 and 5786 (that's how it looks). But we can't be certain as we have not proved it yet. That is why those issues are still open.

Issue 6160 remains open as it was reported that the issue persists with RE4 Wii. I want to check that out before committing a fix, because it is known that the change should fix RE4 Wii.

haddockd, I think the audio issue you are getting is something different to the ones above for this simple fact: You have noticed the problem in versions prior to 3.0-796. Issues 6067 and 5910 were caused by 3.0-796. There is some fundamental compatibility problem with Dolphin and your hardware as you have seen the problem as far back as Dolphin 2.0.

I know that issue closures can look haphazard sometimes, but there is a method to the chaos.
Thank you for the clarification skid it was insightful . I am not the only one with the issue though. Many ppl have the issue that goes back regardless of the build. See the Audio Glitch thread for details. I didnt change anything on my system and the audio issues appear so it is surely an elusive one to nail down. The audio glitch thread has folks using Windows and Linux, so the OS isnt likely to blame. Folks are getting the issue in 32 and 64 bit builds. It persists across HLE and LLE and across all backends. Even the hardware used is completely different. I have tried narrowing it down for months, even setting up VM's with literally no drivers. Performance wasnt great, but the issue persists. Any insight would be helpful.

The other frustrating thing is that this the ppl experiencing this issue, it only happens with Dolphin. Not PCSX2, JPCSP, DesMuMe, JNES, SNES9X, Project64, 1964, Kega Fusion, or ePSXe or any other console emulator that I can find that uses DSound and/or XAudio. If it were indeed hardware, config, or driver related, surely one of these applications would experience a problem. Thoughts?
(03-28-2013, 09:44 AM)skid Wrote: [ -> ]Issues 6067 and 5910 can be deemed fixed because the code that caused the issue was reverted.

You might be right about 5447 and 5786 (that's how it looks). But we can't be certain as we have not proved it yet. That is why those issues are still open.

Issue 6160 remains open as it was reported that the issue persists with RE4 Wii. I want to check that out before committing a fix, because it is known that the change should fix RE4 Wii.

haddockd, I think the audio issue you are getting is something different to the ones above for this simple fact: You have noticed the problem in versions prior to 3.0-796. Issues 6067 and 5910 were caused by 3.0-796. There is some fundamental compatibility problem with Dolphin and your hardware as you have seen the problem as far back as Dolphin 2.0.

I know that issue closures can look haphazard sometimes, but there is a method to the chaos.
I am the reporter of 6160, Pokemon XD still is running much better audio wise on your test build. If i had a copy of RE4 i would test that for you as well. I will stop at the local pawn shop tonight and see if i can acquire it. Don't hold your breath though as the selection is spotty at best in the local shop here.

The user who reports the RE4 issues, doesnt specify his audio setup. FWIW i only use LLE with open AL as it runs the best IMO especially if you dip below 100% emulation speed on occasion, which is known to cause audio issues in its self.
This is going to make me sound like I am coming off wrong and it isnt designed to, but my post was never addressed. If it is my PC or config, why is it only Dolphin that suffers from the audio crackling? No other emu that I use frequently, and there are several, (PCSX2, ePSXe, jpcsp, Project64, JNES, SNES9x, DeSmuMe or Kega Fusion) has any sound issues whatsoever. There is no way that they all have proprietary or custom sound libraries. I know for a fact that several of them use XAudio2.

That post sounded accusatory (but it wasn't designed to) it was just frustration as numerous folks have this issue with different hardware, operating systems, etc and at least three of us use multiple emus with Dolphin being the only one with audio issues. And the only answer offered is that it is a config or driver issue. If it were driver or OS related other applications using sound (at least one if not all) would show the issue (or some derivation thereof).

I suppose I am asking for some additional troubleshooting steps to narrow this Dolphin issue down. I REALLY would love to go back to when there was no crackling Smile

Any ideas or thoughts?
You are not being ignored. I would like to help but I cannot because I do not experience the issue you are getting. I have suggested different audio drivers and audio hardware. Is it possible for you to try it on a totally different machine?

You said that the issue occurs as far back as Dolphin 2.0. That's like trying to find a needle in a haystack. And it is strange that there hasn't been that many reports about it in that length of time.
I actually tried something I do not think I have tried before and used JITIL. The game seemed to lag here and there (which never happens on my system with JIT) but the crackling did not occur. Is it possible that my PC is running the games TOO fast? I cant seem to confirm the crackling when I artificially slow down the games using the frame limit...

Thoughts?