Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: amd liano vs trinity perfomance
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi guys Blush
i want to ask about cpu processor for dolphin. I have a tight budget for pc and the choice is between liano AMD Liano A4-X2 3300 vs trinity AMD A4-5300B
trinity does have sse 4.2 and AVX plus a higher speed and better igp perfomance compared to liano
my question is :
1.how much fps improvement/ speed trinity give from liano?
2.does the a4 trinity can handle 720p or 480p gamecube games at fullspeed using the igp?
3. does the a4 trinity can handle 720p or 480p wii games at fullspeed using the igp?
4.if no 2 and 3 not full speed and only playable does paired it with middle class gpu will bring it to full speed?
Both of them are terrible in Dolphin so
Quote:2.
Nope
Reason : Bad single threaded performance . Both of them are much slower than Phenom X4 955
http://dolphin-emu.org/docs/faq/#what-cp...es-dolphin
Not even an i5 3570k @ 4.5GHz (200$) could run all gamecube / wii games full speed . You should list the games you want to play

Quote:how much fps improvement/ speed trinity give from liano?
It's the opposite .You should ask like this " how much fps improvement/ speed Llano give from Trininy?
Yes , I'm serious . If you compare 2.5GHz Trinity vs 2.5GHz Llano , LLano is faster
However , that Trinity clock speed is higher .
-Both are dual core.
-Both have half the L2 cache disabled and no L3 cache (512KB per core for the 3300 and 1MB per core for the 5300).
-The 3300 uses the llano (family 10H based) microarchitecture and the 5300 uses the piledriver (bulldozer based) microarchitecture. This means the 3300 will perform a little bit better at the same clock rate. -Since these are half cache models and piledriver has a larger L2 cache I would expect the IPC difference in these particular models to be lower than it usually is.
-The 3300 is clocked at 2.5GHz while the 5300 is clocked at 3.4GHz and can turbo up to 3.7GHz. Expect anywhere from a 15-40% boost in cpu performance depending on how much a given workload favors the llano architecture.
-Both have a 65 watt TDP.
-Both support up to DDR3 1600 MHz ram.
-The 3300 uses socket FM1 and the 5300 uses socket FM2. This means you will need different motherboards for these two cpus as FM1 and FM2 are not forwards/backwards compatible with each other.
-The IGP is going to be around 50% faster on the 5300.
-Like you mentioned piledriver (the 5300) supports newer ISA extensions like AVX. Those these aren't very important.

Like admin89 said we strongly recommend getting a faster cpu if you plan on using dolphin.
If these are your only options and you really want an apu, get the trinity based. with a few dollars more you can get a good AM3 mobo and CPU together with the GPU of your choice but it`s up to you.

i owned a llano A-4 and performs poorly with dolphin, the only thing it ran well was a ps2 emulator.

and forget the hybrid crossfire and such, they don`t work with dolphin afaik.
(03-27-2013, 05:40 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]-Both are dual core.

-Both have half the L2 cache disabled and no L3 cache (512KB per core for the 3300 and 1MB per core for the 5300).

-The 3300 uses the llano (family 10H based) microarchitecture and the 5300 uses the piledriver (bulldozer based) microarchitecture. This means the 3300 will perform a little bit better at the same clock rate. -Since these are half cache models and piledriver has a larger L2 cache I would expect the IPC difference in these particular models to be lower than it usually is.

-The 3300 is clocked at 2.5GHz while the 5300 is clocked at 3.4GHz and can turbo up to 3.7GHz. Expect anywhere from a 15-40% boost in cpu performance depending on how much a given workload favors the llano architecture.

-Both have a 65 watt TDP.

-Both support up to DDR3 1600 MHz ram.

-The 3300 uses socket FM1 and the 5300 uses socket FM2. This means you will need different motherboards for these two cpus as FM1 and FM2 are not forwards/backwards compatible with each other.

-The IGP is going to be around 50% faster on the 5300.

-Like you mentioned piledriver (the 5300) supports newer ISA extensions like AVX. Those these aren't very important.

Like admin89 said we strongly recommend getting a faster cpu if you plan on using dolphin.

(03-27-2013, 09:29 AM)omega_rugal Wrote: [ -> ]If these are your only options and you really want an apu, get the trinity based. with a few dollars more you can get a good AM3 mobo and CPU together with the GPU of your choice but it`s up to you.

i owned a llano A-4 and performs poorly with dolphin, the only thing it ran well was a ps2 emulator.

and forget the hybrid crossfire and such, they don`t work with dolphin afaik.

if i will buy am3 cpu i will also buy the cheapest one..... so the athlon II X2 (250/260 the cheapest one ) how good it is compared to trinity a4 5300?
I'm not even sure if it is better. If it is, then only slightly. You really need to invest more money if you want to run dolphin well.
(03-27-2013, 09:29 AM)omega_rugal Wrote: [ -> ]i owned a llano A-4 and performs poorly with dolphin, the only thing it ran well was a ps2 emulator.

You shouldn't refer to an emulator as if all the games that it emulates can fit into one category. Each game runs differently and may need more or less processing power to run at full speed. The CPU you mentioned wouldn't even come close to running most of the PS2 games at full speed with PCSX2. The same goes for Dolphin.
Athlon II X2 250 is a bit faster but you must buy a graphic card for it
You should buy AMD A8-5600K , it's cheap and it's almost as fast as Phenom X4 955
(03-27-2013, 11:32 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not even sure if it is better. If it is, then only slightly. You really need to invest more money if you want to run dolphin well.
(03-27-2013, 11:40 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Athlon II X2 250 is a bit faster but you must buy a graphic card for it

You should buy AMD A8-5600K , it's cheap and it's almost as fast as Phenom X4 955

well i dont have much money , i just want to know if my budget is enough to buy pc with enought power to play game on dolphin at least on native res or maybe 480p with 2x aa or none smoothly , xenoblade maybe?
What exactly is your budget? Your not going to have a great experience with dolphin with either of those processors you listed. Some games will be fine most will not. You'll be stuck on native res and aa will be out of the question. Hell on recent builds it's almost out of the question for my gtx 660. At least on d3d9.

As for xenoblade, you will have to use hle so you will be hunting down a version of the emulator that works well for it and likely suffering crashes. Read the xenoblade threads. Several people have got it working fine but some still get frequent crashing or audio problems.
Pages: 1 2