Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Downloading the ISO of a game you own
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I read the rules and wasn't too sure if this sort of a question is allowed.
I own a copy of the NTSC Brawl (two copies actually) and I would like to play brawl on dolphin. I tried ripping my own iso and I get the "gsod" when trying the game. After searching I saw both that r3094 fixes the issue and that only PAL brawl works with dolphin for some reason.

So I thought maybe that I could download a PAL iso and use that for dolphin but I wonder if this actually legal. I don't think it is but it might be I'm not too sure about the laws.

As for dolphin information. I build the x64 from the svn on my own. I am using r3851 right now to try this. I tried playing around with the settings and nothing worked.

Computer specs:
AMD Phenom II x4 940 @ 3.0GHz
4GB of 1066mhz ddr2 ram
EVGA NVidia GeForce 9800 GTX 512mb ddr3
Windows 7 x64 build 7100
(07-20-2009, 03:31 AM)Slashmolder Wrote: [ -> ]I read the rules and wasn't too sure if this sort of a question is allowed.
I own a copy of the NTSC Brawl (two copies actually) and I would like to play brawl on dolphin. I tried ripping my own iso and I get the "gsod" when trying the game. After searching I saw both that r3094 fixes the issue and that only PAL brawl works with dolphin for some reason.

So I thought maybe that I could download a PAL iso and use that for dolphin but I wonder is this actually legal.

As for dolphin information. I build the x64 from the svn on my own. I am using r3851 right now to try this. I tried playing around with the settings and nothing worked.

Computer specs:
AMD Phenom II x4 940 @ 3.0GHz
4GB of 1066mhz ddr2 ram
EVGA NVidia GeForce 9800 GTX 512mb ddr3
Windows 7 x64 build 7100

It is not legal, everyone has to have their own game copy that has a dumpped file, you can have someone else help you or do it for you but it has to be YOUR game. Looks like you allready downloaded though if you allready tried it? :O but you should use revision 2902 for your ripped game, its the fastest and other versions dont really help with stability yet so its your best bet, i am running with an amd x2 at 2.0ghz and an nvidia 9600m gt and it runs fullspeed on ssbb. gl ripping
I already ripped the ntsc version. I can't get it to work, I will try the older revision as I don't want to break copyright laws.
(07-20-2009, 03:47 AM)Slashmolder Wrote: [ -> ]I already ripped the ntsc version. I can't get it to work, I will try the older revision as I don't want to break copyright laws.

Ah, well the NTSC will not work no matter what you do or what revision you use, the PAL version is the only working one, so either get a copy of the pal version or wait
import pal and rip that Tongue
(07-20-2009, 05:39 AM)Daco Wrote: [ -> ]import pal and rip that Tongue

I second that. So exactly why do you have two NTSC copies of Brawl?

My advice is to sell one of your NTSC copies on Ebay and then pick up a PAL copy. Basically you'll get a free PAL copy if the prices are similar.
(07-17-2009, 05:46 AM)Gleasonator Wrote: [ -> ]Also, this is what I have read about legality...

It is illegal to download any copyrighted video game from any source for any amount of time regardless of whether or not you've purchased the game at any point in time. The only legal way to own these games in formats such as ISO is to back up the game yourself. Even if the MD5 hash matches an ISO you ripped yourself with an ISO someone else ripped, you're not allowed to take the ISO from the other person.

Technically though, it IS legal to download ISOs from the internet... but only if you ripped it yourself and uploaded and are redownloading what you uploaded. :p It's a matter of who ripped it, not a matter of what data the file contains or where the file can be taken from.
I have two copies of brawl because I lost one for a while and play it a lot. My main goal of getting the emulated version to work was just so I could play brawl when other people were using the wii. I will just go for buying it on ebay.
(07-20-2009, 07:24 AM)Slashmolder Wrote: [ -> ]I will just go for buying it on ebay.

I feel helpful. Big Grin
I'd also like to also add (even though it wasn't mentioned) how much of bullcrap that delete after 24 hours rule that most rom sites claim. As mentioned the only legal way to get games to use on Dolphin is to make the backup yourself, it should be little effort to import a Pal copy, stick it in your Wii and dump it to your PC. The Wii is one of the easiest consoles to enable for homebrew providing you have firmware/menu version 3.4 or earlier.

Technically software giants want you to even think making a backup is just as illegal. In the DMCA it's stated you are not allowed to circumvent copy protection in order to make a backup, I'm not sure how well that will hold up in court since it's never been challenged yet.
Pages: 1 2 3