Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Core 2 duo E6400 + Radeon 6450, Can it run New Super Mario Bros.?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ok i have an old Core 2 duo E6400 laying around and i`m planning to get a radeon 6450 for it, the only game i expect to run is New Super Mario Bros. my question, would the radeon 6450 be enough? i know it`s the lower card from the 6000 line but the game is not very demanding either, and some people claim it runs NSMB fine, althought i havent`heard how good is this particular CPU+GPU combination ...

so based on your experience, what do you think? what kind of frame rate i could expect?
6450 GDDR5 or DDR3 ?
DDR3 version : 1x Internal Resolution , no AA , 16x AF
GDDR5 version : 2x or 2.5x IR , same
Quote:what kind of frame rate i could expect?
Very poor frame rate
Core 2 duo @ 2.13GHz won't cut it
You should overclock it to 3.0GHz or upgrade the CPU
Overclock that cpu a bit, use 1x IR, and set efb copy to texture and the game will run fullspeed.
6450 GDDR5 or DDR3 ?

I think the 6450 doesn`t benefit from the gddr5 given its crippled memory controller, so most come with with ddr3.

and i don`t plan to use any IR higher than 1.5 with no AA or high AF

The Core 2 now has a GeForce 6200 TC and runs at around 30% speed, which is something considering the piece of crap that GFX card is.
With 6450 , you should get more than 50% speed
I downclock my CPU to 1.86GHz , it should give similar performance as your CPU
Pic 1 : 65% - Menu
Pic 2 : 51% - Demanding scene (Boss Level) . At normal level , i get 60-65%
omega rugal Wrote:I think the 6450 doesn`t benefit from the gddr5 given its crippled memory controller, so most come with with ddr3.

That doesn't make any sense. GDDR5 and DDR3 memory controllers are different. There are two different GPUs that they use for 6450 cards and each one has a different memory controller. One uses a DDR3 memory controller and the other uses a GDDR5 memory controller. GDDR5 is an inherently superior memory interface. The GDDR5 memory controller has much higher data transfer (2-3 times) and the same buswidth. So the bandwidth is 2-3 times as high. This of course boosts performance especially in more bandwidth dependent applications (as can be seen from benchmarking data).
My bad, the 6450 do has gddr5, i got confused with the similar 5450 which only supported dd3.

Anyway, give the small diference in price and high diference in performance, i think i`ll pass the 6450 and go for a 6670
Just to set the record about the GDDR5 HD 6450, when I had it, it could get fullspeed in MarioKart Wii at 1x IR, and 50-60 % at 3x IR. This may imply, but cannot be taken as proof, that in some graphically lighter games, it may be able to get pretty close to fullspeed with 2x IR. However, these figures are based on year-old memories, so may be very inaccurate. However, I know that MarioKart was at the low side of playable at 3x IR.

However, better GPU is better, and thusly, if you can get it, you should.
Ok as you people said, the cpu really sucks being only dual core, but with some tweaks i was able to get between 55-60 fps in NSMB.

and i got the radeon 6570 since the 6670 was not in stock and i didn`t want to wait.

i`ll see if i can get a better 775 cpu, but i`m definitly keeping the radeon 6570, it goes up to 3X the IR without problem (i get the same FPS at 1X, 2X and 3X)
(03-27-2013, 09:35 AM)omega_rugal Wrote: [ -> ]Ok as you people said, the cpu really sucks being only dual core, but with some tweaks i was able to get between 55-60 fps in NSMB.

and i got the radeon 6570 since the 6670 was not in stock and i didn`t want to wait.

i`ll see if i can get a better 775 cpu, but i`m definitly keeping the radeon 6570, it goes up to 3X the IR without problem (i get the same FPS at 1X, 2X and 3X)
Try to get that CPU if you can, Dolphin is more reliant on the CPU than the GPU, but both are incontrovertibly vital to performance.
Pages: 1 2