Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Pokemon XD weird issue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
jeffj Wrote:I will go ahead and make a proper profile for it. Thanks. Higher resolutions are eye candy sure, but so is AA and AF, at least i consider it to be lol. Maybe it does run better in higher IR, but when i got it to run at near 100% all the time i nearly pissed my self and didn't want to touch anything lol.

This is completely normal. Newer AMD and Nvidia GPUs have power saving features that toggle the GPU between idle, 2D, low 3D, and high 3D modes. Each mode has different clock rates and voltages thereby changing the power consumption. The GPU tries to use the lowest mode possible without decreasing performance in order to save as much power as possible. It does this by constantly checking the GPU load and popping up/down the different modes to find the lowest mode that still yields <99% load. The problem is that in situations where the load is high but not maxed out fluctuations in load can cause it to suddenly switch modes for short periods of time when it shouldn't (resulting in stuttering). Or sometimes it just doesn't detect it properly and never goes into the higher performance modes when it should (resulting in consistently poor framerates compared to what you should be getting). In dolphin raising the IR and/or texture cache accuracy can force it into high performance mode by increasing the load, causing performance to increase. But of course if you're willing to deal with higher power consumption you can force the GPU to run in high 3D mode all the time or set it to switch to that mode whenever a particular application is running via the driver control panel.

jeffj Wrote:However i have to make the choice do i i buy new hardware for my media pc or just break down and pay over price for a working GC lol.

Get a Wii instead if you're seriously considering this option. It's backwards compatible with GC games.
(03-20-2013, 10:43 AM)jeffj Wrote: [ -> ]Althought i'm sure i could OC this proc to at least 3.0-3.2 with the cooling and power supply i have

You can. It will help you for most games.

(03-20-2013, 10:43 AM)jeffj Wrote: [ -> ]I'd rather buy new hardware if i absolutely have to

Get a new hardware (if you can). 3570k is currently the best choice. 2500k is still a good alternative. Or just wait for Haswell processors (this summer).

(03-20-2013, 10:43 AM)jeffj Wrote: [ -> ]i have to make the choice do i i buy new hardware for my media pc or just break down and pay over price for a working GC lol.

If you're nostalgic get a cheap GC. But Dolphin is so much better Smile
Thanks guys, i think i may get some hardware for my media pc, i do like dolphin, especially since i LOVE ps3 controllers for gaming and thats what im using, as well as, well its not an upgrade that is a waste of cash. i " think" i have a 2500k i5, or similar first gen i5 at work doing nothing so if i grab a board, my ddr3 should be re usable as well as everything else. I have no idea if its a 1155 sandy bridge i5 or a 1156 first gen i5, i never took a look i stuck it in my desk drawer and carried on since my work rig is an i7 lol We have pretty much solved my issue, my gfx load issue was because of power saving, setting it to performance helped the stuttering, but every one is right the cpu is a lil old and needs to be replaced if i expect to use dolphin more then a singe game experience.

thanks again guys.
(03-20-2013, 11:08 AM)jeffj Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks guys, i think i may get some hardware for my media pc, i do like dolphin, especially since i LOVE ps3 controllers for gaming and thats what im using, as well as, well its not an upgrade that is a waste of cash. i " think" i have a 2500k i5, or similar first gen i5 at work doing nothing so if i grab a board, my ddr3 should be re usable as well as everything else. I have no idea if its a 1155 sandy bridge i5 or a 1156 first gen i5, i never took a look i stuck it in my desk drawer and carried on since my work rig is an i7 lol We have pretty much solved my issue, my gfx load issue was because of power saving, setting it to performance helped the stuttering, but every one is right the cpu is a lil old and needs to be replaced if i expect to use dolphin more then a singe game experience.

thanks again guys.
Well the i5 ended up being a first gen i5-750 @ 2.67 GHz, i grabbed a board for it and have it running stable @ 4.0GHz on my bench. This should be suitable for Dolphin or do i really need a Sandybridge 2500k minimum?
(03-21-2013, 04:19 AM)jeffj Wrote: [ -> ]Well the i5 ended up being a first gen i5-750 @ 2.67 GHz, i grabbed a board for it and have it running stable @ 4.0GHz on my bench. This should be suitable for Dolphin or do i really need a Sandybridge 2500k minimum?

It's old. Look at my sig. My old 760 has done the job really fine but I've recently made the choice to upgrade.
My advice is that you should go for 2500k. Or even better 3570k. Or wait for Haswell processors (this summer)
Depends on your games

Edit: ninja'd
(03-21-2013, 04:25 AM)LordVador Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-21-2013, 04:19 AM)jeffj Wrote: [ -> ]Well the i5 ended up being a first gen i5-750 @ 2.67 GHz, i grabbed a board for it and have it running stable @ 4.0GHz on my bench. This should be suitable for Dolphin or do i really need a Sandybridge 2500k minimum?

It's old. Look at my sig. My old 760 has done the job really fine but I've recently made the choice to upgrade.
My advice is that you should go for 2500k. Or even better 3570k. Or wait for Haswell processors (this summer)
I see your point as the new i5's and i7's are much faster, but free hardware is good so i think ill try this at least.
(03-21-2013, 04:49 AM)jeffj Wrote: [ -> ]free hardware is good so i think ill try this at least.

Yeah try it of course. As ExtremeDude2 said it will depend on the games. A lot of games will work fine. Problems will come from the most demanding games, if you plan to use LLE, etc
(03-21-2013, 05:13 AM)LordVador Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-21-2013, 04:49 AM)jeffj Wrote: [ -> ]free hardware is good so i think ill try this at least.

Yeah try it of course. As ExtremeDude2 said it will depend on the games. A lot of games will work fine. Problems will come from the most demanding games, if you plan to use LLE, etc
Well, we have been playing for about 2 hours on the i5. I am happy to report that it is a constant 100% speed now. No dips, micro stutters or drops on area or scene transitions. Battles are also 100% speed. There have been no crackles or pops. Audio is now perfect using LLE. Although I may run into speed issues with other games. I will burn that bridge when i get to it. I am very please with the performance, I grabbed some more wii games (Mario galaxy 1 and 2) from the pawn shop today, and even they seem to run great. It looks and seems to run better then the Wii i had before i gave it to my niece and nephew.

I sound like a kid in a candy store, this is more exciting to me then i originally anticipated lol

I owe you guys for the tips Big Grin

Jayfur

so i found out on this nice little tid bit that if you have these settings like i have them you won't have any lag in fps or audio (still testing however and will update once i complete the testing)
Pages: 1 2 3