Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: HD 4000 a bad idea?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Should I expect terrible performance even without raising IR? I was initially planning on purchasing a 7970 but there's been a change of plans (need the money elsewhere). Plus it looks like there are rumors of a new nvidia gpu coming out this 3rd quarter so I'll try to survive until then. Might be the gtx 780

I have a 3570k on the way so I was just wondering if its IGP would run dolphin good enough. If not, what's the cheapest or best bang-for-the-buck gpu for the job?
Quote:Should I expect terrible performance even without raising IR?
Yes and No
Yes : Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 and other GPU intensive games
No : For most games , Intel HD 4000 can handle 1x IR without slowdown (1xIR kill my eyes Big Grin) . Because your CPU is really fast , you can raise IR to 2x or even 3x
For Example :
You could run Brawl 100FPS at 1xIR
Raise IR to 2x , you still have 80FPS which is more than full speed
(03-19-2013, 12:26 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Should I expect terrible performance even without raising IR?
Yes and No
Yes : Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 and other GPU intensive games
No : For most games , Intel HD 4000 can handle 1x IR without slowdown (1xIR kill my eyes Big Grin) . Because your CPU is really fast , you can raise IR to 2x or even 3x
For Example :
You could run Brawl 100FPS at 1xIR
Raise IR to 2x , you still have 80FPS which is more than full speed
Interesting. Hmm, what about a gtx 260? I might be able to grab one for really cheap ($35). I used to have a gtx 275, was really good for its time but I never had the chance to run dolphin with it
Quote:gtx 260
4xIR
(03-19-2013, 12:39 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:gtx 260
4xIR
Sounds good. I only used up to 3x before with my 6970 so anything up to that is good enough for me. Thanks!
(03-19-2013, 12:26 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]and other GPU intensive games
What would be some examples of these games? And with i3 3120m/i5 3210m and Intel HD 4000 what is the highest IR I could play Wind Waker @?
XenoBlade , The Last Story , Metroid (Wii) , Zelda SS , Zangeki no Reginleiv ...and a few more
Wind Waker is light-weight game
Quote:3x before with my 6970
Then it must be sth wrong with your 6970 , it's more than enough for 4xIR
I meant what is the highest possible IR I could play WW at because it is a light weight game and normally runs ahead of full speed. Is 2xIR to high? Or is that on target?
You can follow the instructions here to find out the highest IR you can use for your GPU -> http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-gpu...lutions-ir
IlovetheGamecube Wrote:I meant what is the highest possible IR I could play WW at because it is a light weight game and normally runs ahead of full speed. Is 2xIR to high? Or is that on target?

2x IR maybe 2.5x IR (it might drop slightly in a few places with 2.5x IR). WW is extremely lightweight on the gpu. For more info. consult my post at the bottom of this page: http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-the...ark?page=4

However there are quite a few games that experiences framerate drops even at 1x IR with the HD 4000 so I would highly recommend that you get a graphics card (this is directed at the OP. not you IlovetheGamecube). I had a GTX 260 C216 before I bought the card that I'm using now so I can attest that it will handle 4x IR like a champ.
Pages: 1 2